Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger on a v6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger on a v6?

Ok guys so heres a few noob questions:

First of all, how does a supercharger work?

And second of all, I was talking to someone at the shop where I take my car, and I asked if there were any cheap mods (cuz I'm all but broke) that you can put on a v6 Firebird (cuz thats what I have) and he said not really, but I could try gettin a supercharger on it. He said that a v6 with a supercharger would beat most v8's. Now, even if that isn't true, I'm sure that a supercharger would still add considerable power to my car. At least that's what I'm ASSUMING. So I'm pretty much asking you guys if it would be beneficial enough to put a supercharger on my v6, and if it would be safe to try to buy a used one from a respectable e-bay seller or the like.

Sorry for the noobishness...We all have to start somewhere
Old 03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

you'd be better off going with a turbo and its not gonna be cheap so if your broke, id look elsewhere for power (nitrous). for the right amount of money you can do just about anything such as putting a supercharger on a v6 but its gonna cost you. good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pontiac GTP has a supercharged V6 and some of them are running pretty fast. But if you're broke just wait till you can sell the sixer and get a TA or something, you'll be happier in the end. I'd look into a nitrous kit if you need something cheap to wake your bird up. Good luck with it.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

First off, you cant post a question about adding a supercharger or turbo on a V8 based board. Mostly everyone will give you the same answer, "save your money and get a V8." Well i 100% understand where your comming from cause well, i have a Turbo V6 and its alot faster then most people take it to be on the streets. Now if your serious about adding a supercharger, you cant just throw that on there and call it a day...alot comes with it. You will need to upgrade your fuel system (larger injectors,high pressure fuel pump) and you need to add a full catback exhaust. Check out www.camarov6.com or www.fullthrottlev6.com. Theres a few guys on those boards right now that are selling full turbo kits (one of the kits made over 500rwhp) and a few selling supercharger kits. Either way, Forced induction IS NOT the way to go if you wanna keep it cheap, and i would look into nitrous....
Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mistermoonpie
Ok guys so heres a few noob questions:

First of all, how does a supercharger work?

And second of all, I was talking to someone at the shop where I take my car, and I asked if there were any cheap mods (cuz I'm all but broke) that you can put on a v6 Firebird (cuz thats what I have) and he said not really, but I could try gettin a supercharger on it. He said that a v6 with a supercharger would beat most v8's. Now, even if that isn't true, I'm sure that a supercharger would still add considerable power to my car. At least that's what I'm ASSUMING. So I'm pretty much asking you guys if it would be beneficial enough to put a supercharger on my v6, and if it would be safe to try to buy a used one from a respectable e-bay seller or the like.

Sorry for the noobishness...We all have to start somewhere
he bud, sign up over at fullthrottlev6.com, we can help you out alot better over there (no offense ls1tech)

That guy doesn't know ****. There are plenty of cheap mods you can do. A supercharger is a belt driven compressor that forces a bunch of air into the engine. capish? There are a million ways to make a v6 faster than a v8, it just all depends on how much money you want to spend. There are guys running low 12's with just a cam and some spray. (actually, the current heads/cam record is 12.4, not bad for a nearly full interior 6 banger.) Despite what the critics say, you CAN make a 6 banger f-body quick with just a little money.

Quick Reply: Supercharger on a v6?