Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam wont turn all the way NEED Info!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam wont turn all the way NEED Info!

Ok I have a 2002 TA and started my cam swap yesturday, til I ran into a problem. I had everything apart- rockers off, push rods out, everything out of my way to get the cam out. Well I spun the cam a couple of times and I always use the JPR rods to keep the lifters up. I got the driver side rod all the way in no problem, went to put the passenger side one in and wouldnt even go in past the first lifter, so spun the cam a couple of more times in both directions while trying to insert the rod but just wouldnt go in. So then me and my friend decide to use magnets to try to get the lifter to come up. Well we get the lifter to come up and the rod goes in but it is very hard to push the rod in, Im not forcing it in but just not going smoothly. Then the rod gets stuck about half way down the block same thing happend again. So i went to spin the cam again and now the cam wont even do a full turn Now I have done other cam installs in these cars and never had a problem like this, I have always used the same tools for every job just not understanding this problem. I looked into the hole where the rods go and you can see part of the lifter down and part of it up. I think it is a broken lifter.
PLEASE help me with what you guys think that it is.
The car is going to Texas Speed on April 16 to get 5.3L heads put on and flycut but I really dont want to pay the extra money to have them do the cam as well.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is the JRP rods won't work on later blocks, including the 02. I would use the magnets or get a 5/16 rod from Home Depot and use that. I did this with my 02 and it worked fine.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Ok I have heard that to before to, but why would the driver side go in perfect and the passenger side not. When i look in the hole you can see the lifter go up but there is something else there that wont go up all the way. Plus I can get the passenger side in most of the way, but then the cam wont turn all the way around it hits something. This is where I am scratching my head wondering why.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you're hitting a lifter by putting the rod in, then when you try to spin the cam, the rod is holding the lifter in a stagnant position and not letting the lifter move up and down, thus preventing the cam from turning. If you are using magnets to hold up all of the lifters and the rod still won't go in, then you obviously need a thinner rod. 5/16 is what I used and it worked perfectly.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't answer why one side went in but.......I couldn't use the JRP tool on my girlfriend's 01 WS6 either.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hole on the passenger side is slightly smaller.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use a wooden 5/16 dowel rod. Home depot sells them, Even walmart. Ive heard metal rods have a hard time getting in.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Ok well I guess I will try the rod then, I will try it this next weekend. The car will be out from now till late April anyways Thanks for the info you guys have given me.