Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help with turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with turbo setup

Ok, after pondering my options I've decided not to go with a supercharger and I'm now going with a single rear mount turbo setup on my LS1 powered 84 vette. My goal is to have at least 550 rw hp/tq. Here is the specs on what I'm going to have as of now:

Forged LS1 347 with Stock crank, Compstar rods, Diamond 8.6cc dished pistons, stock LS1 heads milled .025", all ARP studs, Main girdle, Morel lifters, stock LS1 intake, F11 cam 228"/230" .576"/.595" 114LSA

I'm not cutting corners but I don't want to spend anymore than I have to for the build. Would I be alright running the milled heads if I have dished pistons go drop the compression a little? Will I be alright running the cam I listed even though it isn't designed for boost (overlap isn't crazy so I wouldn't have too much bleed off)?

Right now I have a set of Kooks long tube 1 7/8" headers and I don't know if I should keep them or go with something smaller to prevent boost bleed off (being a turbo setup could I just run more boost to compensate?). If i did keep them what would be the benifits/downfalls of large headers on a turbo setup for my power goals? Should I use 42# injectors and would the walbro 255 pump suffice to feed it? How much boost would I need to run to meet my power goals? Also, I want to run on pump gas because it will be somewhat of a daily driver. Any input for my setup would be much appreciated. This will be an ongoing project this year. Thanks

Scott
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those headers will help keep reversion to a minimum with that cam. The cam is not too bad, just a little overlap. Smaller headers might increase back pressure and cause a little back flow.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

From what ive seen and heard on this forum i would say ditch the kooks and the stock milled heads and sell them for some nice 6.0 liter heads from patriot perfromance and some stock z06 exhaust manifolds. That way you wont have to go with too deep a dish on your pistons to lower the comp ratio as the more they are dished the less strength they will have. With that cam and some 6.0 heads, i would say that 9-10 psi would get you to 550 rwhp. I would say that the 42#ers would be sufficient but im not sure on the fuel pump, someone else would have to answer that question.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the heads.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I'll probably ditch the heads and go with 6.0 heads... that wouldn't be to much $ at all. The pistons I was going to use do not have a deep dish. Thy have larger valve reliefs that are 8.6cc's.

also bump for the lunch crowd.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kpforce1
I'll probably ditch the heads and go with 6.0 heads... that wouldn't be to much $ at all. The pistons I was going to use do not have a deep dish. Thy have larger valve reliefs that are 8.6cc's.

also bump for the lunch crowd.

Nice yea the 6.0's arent that expensive and are def worth it.

Quick Reply: Need help with turbo setup