Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought/recieving LS6 for a C4 swap project

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought/recieving LS6 for a C4 swap project

think I got a good deal lol. It is a 2001 LS6 longblock ie shortblock, heads, waterpump, front cover, oil pump. LS6 oil pan etc...

I was told by the owner that he bought his 2001 Z06 from a VERY VERY rich guy, who having gotten pissed it was a Quart per 1K smoker, had a new crate longblock installed. I've paid the guy and supposed to ship this wed/thurs. Original car owner is still storing it in one of his companies warehouses as it's crated and not something you throw in the back of the volvo. Anywho, originally I had planned on re-ringing the motor and putting in new bearings and rod bolts. Was going to add LE2 LS1 heads/cam package. I have a Fast90 intake bought, and a 90mm TB to go with it. Will fabricate alot of parts etc... such as exhaust etc...

Anyway, my question is should I even bother re-doing the shortblock now? Part of me says hell yeah, do it right, it's out of the car and will be somewhat stupid of me NOT to do it now.

Other part of me wonders, if the oil consumption was actually the PVC setup on the LS6 and tweaking that now might help. Plus I really would rather not rip apart what was told to be a strong running block for just oil consumption. Aside from teh nagging fact of adding oil periodocally, some of those oil burner LS6's made great power. 385+rwhp with headers and a tune. My 2001 Z06 with 224/114 TPIS headers and tune only made 393.

Now another side. when I started this project I was kinda flush with some extra $$$. Since then the WIFE. Yes that is a FOUR letter word you know, she tells me she wants a $2k swingset for the kids. Plus we gotta fix our sidewalk so the mother in law can get into our house. Now I actually like both my wife and mo-in-law so I'm inclined to go along with these expenditures. So ripping into the motor won't happen anyway for a good month or two. I'm impatient so I could get started on rest of build otherwise.

I would like opinions on what I should do. I'm conflicted as you can see. I'm leaning towards re-ringing, new bearings, rod bolts etc... I really don't feel like pulling the motor in fall/winter, then again I dunno. Could save alot of $$ by just running the stock LS6 with the FAST, Headers and make pretty damm decent power for now, then H/C it later

bahhhhhhhhhhh help!!!!