Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Camshaft end play

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camshaft end play

My motor came back to the shop today. Luckily they noticed the cam play. It was 0.193 inches!!! 2/10ths of an inch.

I had the motor rebuilt after a cam bearing failed soon after I got the motor (402) and when it came back it was down on oil pressure but not so much that we pulled it back out at that time.

This time it ate the mains. The interesting thing is that the camshaft retainer plate was definitely scored by the end of the cam. So I am suspecting I have had this end play since last years motor rebuild and that is one of the causes of this years bearing failure.

Any motor builder thoughts on what is causing the slop? The motor will be going back to the machinist tomorrow, so we will find out on Mon or Tues, but lets see if anyone can guess the cause.

Perry
Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's not much to look at. The rear cover holds the back, and the retainer plate stops the front, then the timing chain sproket sandwhiches the cam to the plate. Maybe you put the wrong bolts in the top sproket which let the cam "walk"?

Quick Reply: Camshaft end play