Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on this motor I'm buying. What should I do to it prior to install

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on this motor I'm buying. What should I do to it prior to install

this is for my 1992 Corvette C4 project swap

buying a 2001 Z06/LS6 with 20k miles, longblock. Reportidly burned 1qt of oil per 1000 miles.

Got a good deal on it and I was prepared to dig into it and put in new rings and probably bearings since I was into it. Also upgrade to ARP rod bolts.

However, I'm having second thoughts on going internally into motor.

#1 my funds have taken a hit lately and I'm not as flush as I was a month ago.

#2 I got to thinking that some of the 01 motors had PVC issues that were the causing oil burn issues

#3 while 1qt per 1000 miles is definately higher than I would like, some of these motors actually made really good power. I would hate to do something that would lead to reliability issues down the road, coming from the school of thought that the factory built some of the best motors etc...

Now I would like opinions on the pro's/con's of what I'm looking at either way.

Also, if it's determined that it's best to get into the motor, is there anything you would recommend. I would like to avoid any other costs such as machine work as a 20k mile motor really shouldn't need machine work, and I would probably only swap in new oil rings to the motor as this was the GM warranty fix for the motors back in the day and worked well etc...

What bearings would you recommend?

Are the LS6's internally balanced? Will replacing rod bolts do anything to mess this up?

thx alot
John

Quick Reply: Need opinions on this motor I'm buying. What should I do to it prior to install