Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

something showed up today

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default something showed up today

heh. i'm excited now. i even went to summit and grabbed a couple swap parts for the wagon.

ordered the motor mount adapter plates the other day. summit racing provided the lokar LSx swap throttle cable. my transmission is still in buffalo and requires that i take a few hour ride up I-90 to pick it up. my buddy is scrapping his taurus and is pulling the cooling fans off for me before he lets them take it away. i'm planning to get everything ready so it becomes pretty much a drop in a weekend swap. i need F body manifolds, to decide if i want to have my harness done or do it myself, program the ecm to delete the vats and change for the gears i plan to use. i'm anticipating doing the swap in may sometime.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a good start, they left the motor about as complete as you could hope for.

Its a good idea to try and get all the parts together first, the install will go much smoother that way. Don`t hold yourself to making it a weekend swap though, I had almost everything before I started, and it still took me 2 weeks. It would be one really long weekend to do it in 2 days.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

i'm not holding myself to it, but when doing swaps like this i tend to go out to the garage at 8am and not come in till after midnight. i don't need the car to get me anywhere, it's a toy. i'm waiting till spring so i can have the belair and the caddy out to drive while i play with the wagon.

i'm no stranger to putting things where they didn't come. i've done a 3.4L dohc into a 90 grand prix(they changed cradles in 91 to accomodate the new motor, and i'll be damned if the 90's cradle did not come out so we had to modify it). i did a 2002 impala 3400 engine and 1989 grand prix hm282 5 speed into a 94 lumina sedan. i put a small block into my 54 belair with factory power steering(sounds easy until you know what had to be done). and my most fun swap of all was a 1970 472" cadillac and th400 into my 88 silverado. i ripped the cab off the frame mounts with that one.

i noticed i have one broken exhaust manifold bolt, flush with the head. one of the biggest things i hate is steel bolts in aluminum parts. anti-seize time for all of them. i need to pick up F body manifolds anyway.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PattGizz... you on 60degreev6? If so I've seen you around.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of 2000 f-body manifolds. $40 plus shipping but two three studs will have to be replaced.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i'm on 60*v6.

i'm waiting for more $ before i buy manifolds and have the computer programmed, i'm not in a hurry. i'll probably yank out the 305 and then detail the engine bay, paint everything black since the firewall and core support are silver and the car will be painted something besides silver..

on the broken manifold bolts. the rearmost bolt on each exhaust manifold is broken off in the head. is this common? once i get those out(how do you recommend i do that? i thought to weld a nut to what was left of the bolt, theyre about 1/8" down the hole, but would welding melt the aluminum around the hole?) - will stainless bolts remedy this?

Last edited by patgizz; 03-17-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by patgizz
i'm not holding myself to it, but when doing swaps like this i tend to go out to the garage at 8am and not come in till after midnight.
I know exactly what you are talking about, if I have a project going I can get up, go outside and not even notice thats its now 8PM and I missed breakfast, lunch and have not eaten dinner yet .

When I was swapping my motor I was getting up a 7am and going to sleep at 2-3am most nights.

For those bolts, start with a reverse drill bit, you might get lucky. I don`t know if stainless would be better on not. If you use stainless make sure to coat everything with anti-sieze, or else it has a tendency to gall.

Quick Reply: something showed up today