Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Help!

I want to lower my 99 trans am, but dont want to spend a fortune. Where can i go to get a complete kit for my car without having to get springs one place and shocks another. I dont want to spend 1k dollars, im looking to spend 400-500 bucks. which would be my best setup and give me a 1.25 inch drop. thanks guys
Old 03-23-2007, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you care about your ride quality your going to need a larger budget.

Check out Stranos shop or call him up. A new set of Bilsteins could eat up that $500. You could then trim a coil off both the front and rear springs to lower it. The rear springrate should be fine, but the front will still be kind of soft. Maybe go from 300 to 360lbs. So if your budget is really that tight, then that's what I would do.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

strano springs / revalves
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cut your own springs and get a set of shocks.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got a set of front LS1 Prokit springs I don't need. They are 400lb/inch. There are lots of guys with the Prokit as they are well liked. There are a lot of pics of them as well. If you want, I'll sell them for maybe 70 bucks + shipping.

If you change the front shocks, changing the springs are also highly recommended as the amount of work is the same. Changing just the front springs later on is like double the work so It's better to do both at the same time. Changing the rear springs are a piece of cake and can be done at any time.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, I was wrong on the cost of the set of Bilsteins. I think Sam Strano has the set of 4 for $329. With my Prokit fronts and modded stock rear springs you should be good to go. Every coil in the rear springs are worth about 20lb/inch. You can either remove the stock isolators and do the hose mod for about a 3/4" drop or just trim one complete coil and get about a 1" drop and a rate increase from 115lbs to 135lbs/inch. This is what I would do as the rear springs are usually too soft. I modded my rears for 160lbs and 170lbs depending on the tire I run. If I run the soft Nitto DR's, then the 170 rate, if the GSD3's, then the 160 rate.

Anyway, the rear Prokit springs aren't that great anyway as they usually make the car look like it's sagging in the rear. So think about it and PM me if you want my springs.

This is really the cheapest way I know without compromising by using cheap shocks that aren't valved properly for these cars. Bilsteins and Prokit are good stuff. Just ask Sam.