Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is there a difference between a new engine setup for super vs turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a difference between a new engine setup for super vs turbocharger?

I am going to be in the midst of getting a fully built LS2 402 Aluminum forged low compression engine some time in July. I keep telling myself i still got time to think about which FI route i want to take. I have done tons of researching and read many posts on this forum and others, and i still can't make the decision on which FI route to take. But this post isn't about that. Its more about the engine i am getting built. Is there a difference between a low compression engine being built for a supercharger vs a turbocharger? I know something like a cam would be different, but i was wondering if a lot of things would be. I guess if that is the case, i will need to make a decision then about which route i want to go. Either way, the builder informed me that it will be able to take over 15 lbs of boost safely. Can someone shine a little light on this situation? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Other than the cam, exhaust, and pulley everthing should be good
Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

So thats it then?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally you want a little more compression for a s/c than a turbo, but if you build it for turbo and end up going s/c you could mill the heads a little.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
7 Second Club

if you are running a blower you need to be very picky about the crank tolerances...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Well, i am getting a sponsor on here to build the engine for me. I am guessing he has built a good amount of 402 FI motors. I am assuming the things mentioned are things that he would be quick to point out to me. I just wanted to see what you guys would mention. Anything else? Boy i tell you, with the more reserach i do, the more lost i get with making a decision. I see so many pros and cons with the different types of FI around. It really is a tough decision, especially when you are investing a lot of money into it. I'd like to stick to my guns though when i do make the decision, cause i am pretty sure i wouldn't want to change systems once the turbo/super charger is on the car.