Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Painted Black 10 spokes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painted Black 10 spokes

Well everyone, made the leap and painted my 10 spokes black. They came out great..blah blah etc. Problem is, for whatever reason I wasn't paying attention when I purchased the paint i used. Basically put the wrong stuff on. So now i got the tedious job of redoing the whole thing and heres where my question comes in.

Do I just sand back through the new clear/black paint down to the silver again? If so, what sandpapers..technique and so forth do I do?

Or the other thing I was thinking, should I just strip it all off, polish the rims up completely, and then repaint the spokes black? Giving it a polished lip instead of silver?
Is this even possible with the silver 10spokes? I heard its just polished underneath but I want to be absolutely sure before I even think about that approach. Would this give the same look as normal polished rims?

Serious help appreciated guys! I fucked up on this, and now im gonna pay the price... many more hours of cleaning, sanding and taping off
Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of paint did you get?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would leave it as is and see how well it holds up. If you are not happy with the end result, I would have the wheels bead blasted, polished, and repainted. I think the sandpaper method would be way too much trouble to remove paint.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put nail polish remover/water in a spray bottle and soak the wheels down. let the solution eat through the paint, and it should come off easily. what doesn't come off can be sanded.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gollum
I would leave it as is and see how well it holds up. If you are not happy with the end result, I would have the wheels bead blasted, polished, and repainted. I think the sandpaper method would be way too much trouble to remove paint.
I used duplicolor Enamel. Recently after painting them i learned they actually have wheel paint... . But im just gonna go with what you said and see how it holds up. We'll see how it ends up turning out... now im going to go outside, and wash it..and see if its actually had much damage from the two days of constant rain and **** getting all over it.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Let us know how they hold up
Old 03-23-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I spray bombed mine I just got some semi-gloss krylon el-cheapo paint. It was like $2 a can. I've pressure wash them, scrubbed them, driven on salted roads and its holding up fine.

I'd say you'll be fine as long as you prepped it good.