Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Bodies

A nice little Newbie question . . A 2002 Z28 M6 . . What is the difference between porting an existing throttle body versus replacing it with a 90mm Holley(thats the one I want) throttle body? Which is better. Also, you all have most likely seen the K&N intake kit for this year car, which do you think will get more air through the throttle body into the engine . .The K&N setup or the SLP type setup. They are both the same price, I just want the one that'll give me more air. The SLP type setup has an air lid and box around the filter, but it also has the cold air piece to suck the air up and almost force it through the filter. The K&N is just a filter that sits atop the radiator, no lid, no box.

Thanks for help/info . .
Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

90 mill is overkill for a stock cube engine. unless you got a killer cam and head combo, you have no use for a 90 mill TB. port your stocker, then when you get heads and a cam, then sell the LS6 intake and get a FAST 90/90 combo. as for the K&N question, i had the FIPK for a while and hated it. every time i popped the hood after a nice drive, the filter was so hot i couldnt touch it. so i can only imagine its sucking hot *** air into the engine. go with a traditional lid and get the FTRA or SSRA and call it a day. the K&N is a waste of money IMO. 200+ for a used one, not worth it. you can pick up a nice lid for 100 bucks and the FTRA for about 150 (+/-). and you wont have to worry about sucking hot air into the engine, just water.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

unless you are going with a 90mm intake whats the point of a 90mm throttlebody?? your stocker will do fine.. there are several guys on here that do great port work! some fairly cheap and have good turnaround time.. look into them.

use a lid and a paper gasket... been proven time after time.. sometimes hte oil off the KN will jack up the mass air... just my opinion..dont waste the money!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Dont waste the money unless you do heads and a big cam. the stockers are supposedly good to 600hp and the 90mm will probably hurt your power with the stock heads and cam. The porting job is the way to go and the the top 2 guys were right on the money.