Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Foundaton for LS1/LS2 Chevelle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Foundaton for LS1/LS2 Chevelle Swap

I am getting ready to "pull the trigger" on acquiring an engine for fitting this summer, and stuck on which type is best for my swap. It is going in a Chevelle, so the BRP kit is probably the way I am going to go because my fab skills really suck, and I have no tools. What I want eventually is a 402 or 408 stroker, no nitrous, no blower, no turbo. I want about 550 naturally aspired HP, with torque #'s to match, going through the T-56.
I am stuck on whether I should go cheap and get an LQ9 or LQ4 out of an escalade, and acquire the T-56 from somewhere else, buy a nice cheap 2000-2002 LS1 from an F-body with T-56 attached, or whether I should hold out for a 2004 LS1 GTO foundation, or the big one - the 2005 LS2 GTO (which is 6.0 liters already). What do you all think?
Right now, I am leaning toward getting the 2004 GTO LS1, fitting it to the car, and slapping a stroker short block on it later on after the frame comes back from powder coat this winter. Is there a better option?

TJR
US Air Force
Old 04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would spend as little as possible to get it running, or mocked up, then drop the cash on a 402+ shortblock. Nice thing about getting a complete motor is you get all the covers, accessories and harness/PCM. So on that note any 99+ should be fine and the cheaper the better for what you want to do. Unless you want the GTO trans for the gear ratios, because they are different then the F-body. You will probably want a F-body, CTS-V or truck pan depending on how you do it, so if you go GTO you'll need to swap the pan and pickup.

Check my sig for my swap and there are a couple others around. bczee, 350ss, ls1_chevelle and some others.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on what Stealth71 said.. either way.. you won't regret it..!

If your going with that much HP/TQ.. you might want to consider a Viper Configured T56 that has a F-Body input and front plate. It can withstand more power than a normal T56 for a F-Body and has stronger output shaft and internals.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Launching!

I concur with the above. I would pick up a complete engine or complete drivetrain if you can find one, throw a cam in her and proceed to swap it in.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really depends what your budget is. i try to spend my money as intelligently as possible (which is impossible when concerning building a car) but if you know what you want in the end, might as well just build it once.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also consider the Viper trans. I dont know if your running a stock consol in your car or not, but the Viper tans lines up with the factory consol. Its ( as bezee pointed out) a stronger unit as well.

As for a motor, it all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I picked up my LQ4 for $1000.00 with 26k on it. But I bought it because I wanted the iron block and 317 heads for FI (see sig) If you want a AL block, than it gonna cost you more, but it will save you 60 more LBS. Agian, depends on what you want.

Good luck with your project! Keep us updated.

Ron