General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anyone an expert on CT's emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone an expert on CT's emissions?

I'm just curious what kind of testing we have in CT. If there's no visual test and only a computer scan for 96 and up vehicles, like i've heard, then i would get an ory. but i might have to pass a visuals test. My dad said they looked under our 95 passat with a mirror, but thats pre-96.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing, I'm from CT as well. A few people told me they passed but I don't know the full details and my friend works at a gas station/shop that does emissions, said there are cameras and if they try and pass a car that failed, they shut the machine off or something like that. Don't quote me though. I'm debating headers because of this, it sucks. I'm getting a LOT of varying stories, "if you have cats you're fine...." etc., but I don't know, hopefully someone can chime in here...
Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think LT's will be a problem. only the cats. But how will a computer know if the person saw cats under the car or not? i just want to know if theres a visual test for 96 and up cars, but either ppl don't know **** or don't care to tell us, cuz i've been asking this question for a while.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

where I go the guy looks under everything, they have to but in some cases as long as it passes they dont care too much about cats(only some shops will do this).... although technically you can pass without cats if you dont have any codes... in CT your allowed 2 functions to be shut off, so if you have lt's and no post cat o2's they will know but as long as your running cats your fine....but if there is a stored code they have to run the sniffer and this can only be done once, next test time the state will know that it failed the plug in last time and had to be run on the rollers so it better pass the plug in from that time on... some camed cars may have a problem with that...hope this answers you questions
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6on19s
where I go the guy looks under everything, they have to but in some cases as long as it passes they dont care too much about cats(only some shops will do this).... although technically you can pass without cats if you dont have any codes... in CT your allowed 2 functions to be shut off, so if you have lt's and no post cat o2's they will know but as long as your running cats your fine....but if there is a stored code they have to run the sniffer and this can only be done once, next test time the state will know that it failed the plug in last time and had to be run on the rollers so it better pass the plug in from that time on... some camed cars may have a problem with that...hope this answers you questions
I’m curious about what you mean by 2 functions allowed to be turned off…….I was under the impression that if I used a program like HP Tuners I could turn off my rear O2’s and AIR system but everything would show up fine during the test…..Is that not true?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I passed the CT inspection with 2 bad o2 sensors! I cleared the codes out with a predator in the parking lot at the emmisions test sight and it passed,

+1 for CT shops looking for cats, if anything just weld the cat shields to an ory pipe to make it look like it has cats.