Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump swamp (oil feed tube bolt) questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump swamp (oil feed tube bolt) questions!

car 2001 camaro z28, ls1 is still in the car during this swap!!!

for those of you who have changed your oil pump, I have one simple question that will hopefully ease the pain in the *** job it is.

The oil pump has 4 screws that hold it to the block, however there is one screw on the bottom side that connects the oil feed tube to the oil pump.

I just found out that getting that screw out is a huge pain, and dangerous too in case it fall in the oil pan. Then I'd have to pull the engine. To prevent this danger I used a very powerful magnet and stuffed the front of the oil pan with rags.

So now I have to install the new oil pump, so how can I safely fasten that screw back through the oil feed tube into the water pump, or can I just toss the screw and say forget it!

For those of you that have changed your oil pump, you know the screw I speak of!!

thanks for you replies its appreciated!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:24 AM

Been there.

To put it back in I used a 10mm Gearwrench. The bend on it was just right to fit it in and hold it in place while I worked it in. I know it sucks to hear, but keep with it. Walk away for an hour or so if you have to to get new perspective or energy. it will go back in.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:25 AM

I think I was swearing at my wife in that pic too.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

You meant fasten the bolt back into the OIL pump right??

Whatever you do.. DONT throw it away.

You can take a few clean shop rags and build a "wall" in your oil pan to stop the bolt from falling back into the pan if you drop it. Just dontforget to take the rags out before you button her back up.

I use a pen magnet to hold the bolt and get it seated into the bolt hole and then turned it a little at a time until the first couple of threads caught. From there I used a box/open end wrench to tighten her up. I also dissassembled my oil pump and put the housing on first, verified I did not kink the oring, centered the housing, and then re-assembled.

Dave is right with the gear wrench, too. It will work like a champ....and like he states, when you get frustrated...take a break.

Good luck.

R/

Frat
Old 04-08-2007, 06:56 AM

I also kept a pen magnet in the oil pan in case if fell & guess what it did fall. :Jest:
Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this last week - and i was a nervous wreak about loosing that bolt too!

I also stuffed the rags in the oil pan front area, had my magnet handy, but what make it work for me was a wire. i wrapped the wire around the neck of the bolt and i was able to guide the bolt into the hole, and steady it there until i could get 1/2 turn to get it started.

...then i was able to relax. a few more turns, then i took off the wire and finished up the bolt.

find a wire that isnt too weak nor too stiff.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

i used fishing line and held it up there with a screwdriver (flathead) and turned it with a gearwrench.. pain in the butt! but with some enginuity you will get it.. i highly reccomend tin fishing line to it... worked great since i dropped it bout 8 times. good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks guys!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk

I also stuffed the rags in the oil pan front area, had my magnet handy, but what make it work for me was a wire. i wrapped the wire around the neck of the bolt and i was able to guide the bolt into the hole, and steady it there until i could get 1/2 turn to get it started.

find a wire that isnt too weak nor too stiff.
They ground wire out of a piece of 14/2 romex is perfect