Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange Dana 60 pinion seal replacement...??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Strange Dana 60 pinion seal replacement...??

I have a question...

The pinion seal on my Dana 60 just started to leak a little and it is slinging lube around the tunnel of the car...and it's leaving quarter-sized drips on the garage floor. When parked, it's not dripping directly from the pinion seal though...whats happening is it seeps out and gets sprayed on the tunnel of the car, then it runs down off there...it doesnt leave any drips directly under the yoke of the rearend....it's somewhere off to the side so I was wondering where it was coming from and traced it back to the pinion seal.

Anyway, here are my questions...and I haven't done any research on this yet, so bear with me...

Can I pull the yoke off and replace the seal without disassembling the rearend?

Is pinion preload done with a crush sleeve? And would that have to be replaced if I pull the yoke but do not disassemble the rear?

What kind of trucks did these Dana 60s come in? Is there any difference in pinion shaft diameter, or are they all the same for the 60? (For when I go buy a seal...cuz I'm just guessing Checker isn't going to have a listing for a dana 60 in a 98 camaro, lol)

Is it also possible that the cold weather making it leak? It wasnt dirty when I bought it, but maybe it had been cleaned up...I dont know. It wasnt dripping earlier this year...kind of all of a sudden started...

Quick Reply: Strange Dana 60 pinion seal replacement...??