Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt Prep for Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bolt Prep for Assembly

What does GM specify for thread preparation on bolts that thread into aluminum. Anti-sieze? Threadlocker? Oil/grease? Different for certain areas?

Threading fasteners that have been thoroughly cleaned (degreased) into aluminum (engine block) is asking for trouble as they will surely gall. Upon disassembly, I noticed what appeared to be some type of compound on the threads of most of the bolts. Something surely must be specified. Sorry, I don't have a factory manual.

Thanks,

Andy1
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of us use loctite on everything that goes into the block with the exception of head bolts and rotating assembly bolts.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct, GM specifies something different in each location and the number of places that loctite is specified is few and far between. Usually, when specifying a thread locker, they specify a new bolt.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You are correct, GM specifies something different in each location and the number of places that loctite is specified is few and far between. Usually, when specifying a thread locker, they specify a new bolt.
Can you specify the compound and the location, or should I try to locate a manual?

BTW, few realize that a second primary function of Loctite is to prevent galling. I typically used a low retention grade of Loctite for (non GM) race motor applications that were frequently disassembled. Rarely did I have galling issues in aluminum. I just want to know what GM specifies for the LS1 in a street application.

Thanks,

Andy1