Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone ever install harness belt for driver only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever install harness belt for driver only?

I really want to ditch the stock steering wheel, as its uncomfortable and outdated. However, im not comfortable enough to lose the airbag without having a harness first. The only complication is that I still drive around friends once and a while, and I would like to keep that option, while keeping safety as high as possible. I thought about trying to run the harnesses while keeping the rear seats in place, but I dont think id be comfortable letting someone ride back there with the harness bar waiting to break their faces if something were to happen.

Then it got me thinking, that perhaps I can do a harness bar that only covered the drivers side, essentially turning the car into a 3 seater. Though I do believe that 4-point harnesses are not considered legal, at least in California. But legalities aside, the passenger would still have a functioning airbag, and the rear passenger wouldn't have to worry about harnesses or metal tubing in the way. Anyone ever done something similar? Pictures would be nice obviously, but just any ideas/experiences/comments would be welcomed. The next question is to myself in that is it worth all the hassle just to change the steering wheel.... I guess I can keep debating that one to myself
Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's practically impossible. The reason a harness bar works well in an f-body is because of its bolt points, whether it's part of a cage or seperate. ALMOST ALL f-body harness bars (that aren't part of a roll cage) bolt into the bolt points that are freed up by taking out the rear selt belt brackets. If you are looking to put in a harness bar without the rear passenger side, I think it would be impossible to have a safe harness bar back there. I'm not really qualified to give you a 100% positive answer, but I have Sparco seats in my car with the 4-point harnesses, and after taking a look at my options, I can say with a lot of confidence that it won't work. Sorry man.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever install harness belt for driver only?