Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding into drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Grinding into drive

What would cause my tranny to grind into drive?

Doesnt matter what gear I put it into there is a 1.5 second delay then a grind and then its into gear. Sometimes my Low trac light will come on when it grinds into gear.

I had the tranny rebuild and the builder said it was my exhaust. I believed him for a while till I put the cam in, and the surging would further grind it into first.

The builder I had turned out to be a pretty shaddy SOB and will not see my car again..

Any help would be great guys!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a few things, ill get with you and talk about it.....

shaddy you say?.....if you need a rebuild get with me ill tell you about the guy who built mine...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Grinding into drive is a strange syptom . All happens is the forward clutch comes on but untill you let off the brake nothing inside the transmission is moving infact your stopping the input shaft from turning instantly , everything but the pump is stationary and the pump is moving anytime the car is running , If the transmission works fine other wise I would not be so quick to replace. I cant think of anyway possible something could grind going into drive with the brake applied, Now the converter is possible but it should also make the same sound going into reverse if thats the case. I would look around a bit more if I was you.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kris hows the fluid level...and whats it look and smell like?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
kris hows the fluid level...and whats it look and smell like?
Ill check the fluid tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

You might try unbolting the torque converter from the flexplate and sliding it into the pump, away from the engine and then start the car... see if the noise changes. Obviously it may not be a good test if it only shows up when shifting but it may tell you something...Does it only do this when moving the selector from P to D or R? How does it shift out otherwise? Did the noise show up immediately after the trans installation / repair? If so was the converter replaced at the same time... it is rare for a converter to be noisy intermittantly but I have seen stranger things.

There just aren't too many reasons for a grinding noise in this unit... look at your torque arm they will crack or break welds and become noisy sometimes. Ordinarilly when a transmission is making grinding noises it is not operating properly...

Good luck.

g
Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
You might try unbolting the torque converter from the flexplate and sliding it into the pump, away from the engine and then start the car... see if the noise changes. Obviously it may not be a good test if it only shows up when shifting but it may tell you something...Does it only do this when moving the selector from P to D or R? How does it shift out otherwise? Did the noise show up immediately after the trans installation / repair? If so was the converter replaced at the same time... it is rare for a converter to be noisy intermittantly but I have seen stranger things.

There just aren't too many reasons for a grinding noise in this unit... look at your torque arm they will crack or break welds and become noisy sometimes. Ordinarilly when a transmission is making grinding noises it is not operating properly...

Good luck.

g

It will only do the grinding when I pring the stick from P to D.

If I pop it into D and hit the gas without waiting 2 seconds it will grind harder before it locks into gear.

Im going to drop the transmission this weekend. If it is the Verter ill now. Its being replaced with a much bigger one.

The low trac light that will occasionaly pop on when it grinds is what really confuses me..