Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

goodbye turbo 3.8...hell turbo LT1? LS1??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default goodbye turbo 3.8...hell turbo LT1? LS1??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alright well last year i had my new motor installed and shortly after, i blew a rear main seal and havent had it fixed yet. The shop that installed my motor along with my turbo kit is very close to some members in my family so they hooked me up with a One year warrenty on the motor with the turbo so they are gonna fix the rear main seal for free....now, my transmission is shot because of the turbo i have now and its only on 10psi...

What i have been thinking is...if I was gonna go forward with my original setup i have now with a New performabuilt tranny and 3600 Torque converter and Transgo shift kit (plus installation), thats gonna be about the same amount of money i can pick up a used 50K LS1 and auto Tranny package off ebay. (about 3 grand). My uncle however, is very very good with cars (he has done full motor swaps in only hours) and he has a huge heated garage. Well anyways, he wants to do the swap with me. Now if i did install the LS1 I would sell my 3.8 but keep the turbo kit and throw that on the LS1...

How hard honestly would it be to do a complete LS1 swap?? Motor,tranny,motormounts,Wiring harness,PCM,and new speedo...anything else did i leave out thats involved in a swap??

Note: I dont have any AC (everything i took out) of a EGR valve so thats less to uninstall for the swap and less to hook up...gives me more room also.

I was also looking on ebay and i can get a full LT1 with the tranny,wiring harness and exhaust manifolds for about 2300.00 shipped to my door...now now well do they handle to F/I?? about whats their limitations in stock form?

I want to go the cheapest route, with the most power for the money. My car right now makes around 360rwhp and thats just not enough for me. I can handle up to 15psi with a very good tune on my motor, but reliability go down the drain and that would only put me around 420rwhp...i want to be around 500.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock form a lt1 is bad option for f/i its got too much compression your limited to about 6-8 pounds...maybe make about 450-500 hp

go with an ls1...find a wrecked car in the junkyard or some1 local and buy the puullout from them with k member ect...should be able to get one for about 2000 or so...ive even found complete wrecked ls1 around here for 2k..just start looking once you get one then plan the swap
Old 04-18-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

where are these $2000 pullout motors located for ls1's?

Ryan
Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

all over...you can find deals if your constantly looking...ive found complete cars for that much around here...maybe its just a texas thing...

Quick Reply: goodbye turbo 3.8...hell turbo LT1? LS1??