Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel audio controls for '98 TA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering wheel audio controls for '98 TA?

Do GM dealerships have these in stock for '98 Trans Ams usually, or is something that I'd have to special order? Mine are all jacked up and the paint is faded. I need both of the units with buttons. I couldn't imagine them being expensive, but dealerships... eh.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

I'd try a junk yard first. The 98 steering wheel controls are slightly different I believe from 99+ and are said to be better quality, they also have finger indents where as the rest don't I believe. I have a 99 T/A but I think it has 98 steering wheel controls because I have the finger indents. Anyways I'm not sure if the dealer would have the "better quality" controls or if they will only have the "cheaper" 99+ controls. I was going to replace one of mine but decided to just replace the bulb instead because they wanted like $200 or some crap for just 1 side.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

funny you mention that, i also thought the '98 ones looked a little better than the later series. i got an ebony steering wheel for my interior conversion and popped the switches out of that and realized they wouldn't fit the '98 wheel.

maybe i should just repaint them somehow? and they don't light up! argh! no bulbs to be found!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Heres an easy write up on changing the light bulbs, just need to get a bulb from radioshack
http://doghouse.2y.net/gtp/steeringcontrols/

I guess you could paint them, seems like a pain in the *** to me and it would bug me if I painted over the letters so the light couldn't come through. I'd stick with junk yards or ebay, its a waiting game though. Someone was selling steering wheel controls on ebay about a week ago but I think they were 99+
Old 04-18-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

awesome. thanks for the write up! this'll do until i can find some '98 ones in good shape. atleast i can get them to glow again now!