Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Identifying front QA1 springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Identifying front QA1 springs

Is there anyway to find out the # of front springs while on the car? I bought a set used awhile back and never know what pound they were. Would like to go to #300, but it would be nice to know what they are now. Is there anyway you can measure how thick the "wire" is thats used and tell? Thanks.

Chris
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

best bet is to use an inspection mirror and flashlight and look for a part number. I could possibly measure mine this weekend if you need me to. just shoot me a pm if thats the case.

Ski
Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Well crap. Couldn't find a part number anywhere. I measured the coil wire and it came out to 14.5mm. The spring just seems to be compressed alot. The adjustable spring perch is really high on my shock and the front is still alittle low. Afraid to take it much higher, I've only got like 2" left of thread on the shock. The front of the car seems to fall really quick after initial launch, and it might be these springs. Thanks for any help.

Chris
Old 04-18-2007, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like you have the F series QA1 coil over it is common for them to do that because they have one setting for how fast they go up and come back down.If you adjust them to be loose going up they will be loose coming down at the same time.Now if you have the R - the race type they have a firm fixed setting so when they come down it will be slower and they can still be adjusted for how fast you want them to go up.Thats how I understand the 2 types.See which ones you have and let us know.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

I have the F series shocks with the 300# springs. And I have mine run up pretty far too. IIRC it was....47threads from bottom to top I have mine run up. Thats to the bottom of the locking ring. Not much more room to run up either. Same thing, if I have them set 0-3 it falls as fast as it comes up. So, yea, you do have to be careful.

Ski
Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, I'm pretty sure these are the normal series or F I guess. I use to keep them on 0 all the time, but the car feels like a boat...lol. I set them at 3 the last track outing, hopefully get to play with them more this weekend. I guess instead of just buying new springs, go ahead and buy the R series shocks. Anyone know what pound QA1 springs have a 14.5mm wire? Or is it something else in the spring thats different?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

I only put mine to 0-3 if I'm doing some runs. Otherwise stays at 7-8 for street duty. Yea, definatly gets a little float when there pretty loose.

Quick Reply: Identifying front QA1 springs