Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally running C3 LS1 - T56

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking finally running C3 LS1 - T56

It has been a long road, but finally got my 79 vette back on the road. Even have temp registration and insurance, but no mufflers yet (gotta drive down to the shop to get true duals (2.5" pipes throughout) with crosshover H pipe and dynomax super turbos in stock location installed soon). And ... have to pass the Cali smog ****'s test in the next few weeks!

Still hooking up gages, gotta tune for t56 (harness was auto), ac compressor & bracket, air pump, evap canister, interior and re-paint, but stoked it starts, idles, and runs! Will post pics when it looks nicer...

But it sure is fun driving around with just open cats burning old tire tread off
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Glad to hear it's alive.
Which oil pan are you using? Any issues dropping it in? I'm stuck at this point because the arm on my hoist is not long enough to get the engine back far enough to hit the motor mounts and the pan seams to be in the way.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

congrats on getting the vette running.i used the truck pan and modified it,but the fbody pan fits the c3 better.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I had a vette engine with the batwing oil pan. A trial fit showed that it would not work with the stock power steering ram (rebuilt the entire steering/front end some time ago so didn't want to switch to rack and pinon, or jeep power gearbox, unless absolutely necessary). I ended up buying an F body oil pan (from this forum) and selling my batwing pan on the corvette forum. The F body works much better - I have tight clearances in a few places (idler arm, steering ram) but it seems to fit without mods to either. The specifics of exactly what motor mounts one is using can change the clearances (I got mine from ebay - think it is the S&P style mount).

BTW - spring for (or borrow from someone) the load leveler for the engine hoist. I took out the stock engine/tranny connected, and installed my LS1 bolted up to the T56. It went fairly easy with the load leveler changing the angle of the engine/tranny as going in and out - I am not sure it would have worked at all without the load leveler.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chula Vista is the easiest Ref in Southern California for sure..
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myoriginal77
I'm stuck at this point because the arm on my hoist is not long enough to get the engine back far enough to hit the motor mounts and the pan seams to be in the way.

Thanks,
Frank
Take off the wheel and come in from the side. I was able to get the engine and T56 in together with no leveler.

Quick Reply: finally running C3 LS1 - T56