Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev limit questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rev limit questions

I'm new to the black art of rev limits, so I wanted to ask a few questions. I'm going to be adding the following mods to my stock '99 Formula: LTs, ORY, cat-back, LS6 intake, !EGR, !AIR. The shop that's doing it mentioned that they're going to throw a quick tune on it to eliminate codes. They also mentioned that they're going to raise the rev limit.

My questions are, what is the factory rev limit, and what is safe and CONSERVATIVE to run on an otherwise stock engine? I'll have them raise it a little if it makes good sense based on the additional airflow. I'm primarily concerned with avoiding trouble though, and would be just as happy with the stock limit if the benefits of raising it don't outweigh the risks. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it's the same with F-bods...but the stock LS1 C5 limit is 6200 rpm.

Unless you are adding a cam or other power adder, I can't see any benefit in upping the rev limit. The stock cam dies out well before that.

I would not advise bumping the limit until you have, at the very least, some good valvesprings, and something that can take advantage of the higher rpm.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock limit is 6250 I believe. Personally, I wouldn't raise it. Until you get a cam and hardened pushrods and springs, you're just asking for trouble.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reason to raise it on the stock cam. If/when you install a larger cam set it based on the power band...shifting no higher than say 6500 rpm.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, cool, you guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I just looked at my previous dyno graphs, peak is way below 6000. These mods aren't really going to change where peak happens, if I'm not mistaken. I thought it was a little strange when they were telling me they were going to change the limit.