Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trying to Align a 4th gen's door panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to Align a 4th gen's door panel

Pain in the ***. Anyone have any helpfull suggestions on hwo to best go about succesfully doing this? I've done it twice and now it Pops again when you open it. It's because the door panel is getting cought on the front quarter panel when it's opening and then you have to give it a hard shove and then makes a loud pop and it gets free. so annoying...I know i have to get the hige side of the door inward, but i just cant make it happenm, while aligning the striker bolt, and keeping the weather stripping sealed (leaks air and some water by the mirror)
Old 04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you mean the outside, and not the trim panel.

If that's the case, either your frame is tweaked and needs to be straightened or you need to adjust your fender.

However, I'm not a body man, so these are just my two assumptions/guesses.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Teching In

It's just a paint because the higes are a pain in the *** to get to. I don't see how it gets out of alignment. The doors are so big and bulky too. I'm half tempted to have it aligned at a shop, but god knows what that'll cost...i hate taking my cars to shops.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Usually when painting something that has to line up specifically, it's a good idea to not paint where the original 'settings' were. Either put some wax over where the original bolts went, or leave a bolt in while you paint, so you know right where to put the bolts when you reattach. There were no shims that you misplaced is there? Just took the door off I assume, and not the fender? Is it an aftermarket door, or the original that's always been on the car?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Teching In

im not painting anything...its the original door, i never removed it. i just loosened the hinge bolts to align the door when it started to sag. i probably just need to get new hinges as the bushings are probably just dead.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh man, yea, don't screw with the hinges if the door is sagging! That just means it needs a new door pin set! :S They all sag after so long due to metal fatigue.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I dont think theres door pins...all there are, are 2 hinges, one top and one bottom. The bottom hinge includes the roller pin that stops the door at it's 2 given positions.