LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti help!

We are thinking we installed the opti 1 tooth off because it wants to fire but won't When we put it on we put it on we were both really tired and figured when we were done with that we'd stop. We stuck it on and rotated it a few degrees to get the bolts to line up. So now that its WANTS to fire but wont we are thinking we are a tooth off. If we pull the opti off we can just reposition it and it will be fine? Or for any reason do we have to find TDC?

If we do have to find TDC....
Without removing the timing cover (cause I dont want to drop the oil pan) or taking off the intake what is a way to find direct TDC?

Vehicle -1993 LT1 Trans Am M6
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

im in the process of the same thing, but my crank pulley is stuck on solid and i cant get it off without it pissing me off, im hoping tomorrow i can give it a crack, im just going to try and rotate it without having to take everything back off. Mine will crank but it runs like **** and wont rev
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Teching In

I know this is a tooth off by what it's doing. I'm so stressed with finals that I can't think straight. I think if I take off the water pump, serp belt, and balancer I will be golden as long as I put it in the correct position, correct? I don't have to have it at #1 TDC and go from there like with a old school SBC? As long as it's lined up with that one keyway on the opti I'm good?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

should be, the only thing that i would worry about is that with you being off a notch and cranking it, you might have broken the rotor, when you take the opti off shake it and see if anything rattles, if so the rotor is broke.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transambandit
should be, the only thing that i would worry about is that with you being off a notch and cranking it, you might have broken the rotor, when you take the opti off shake it and see if anything rattles, if so the rotor is broke.
Well we are already off a tooth. That's the problem we are having. The opti is new, just installed a tooth off when it was installed after the cam swap

Quick Reply: Opti help!