Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ceta question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceta question

I have read all the threads pertaining to this as well as the great sticky done by Kraaazymike.(thats the reason i'm trying this) I may have overlooked this but can someone tell me if when doing this, do you paint down in the ridge around this area or leave it the color of the car? I's hard to tell from the pictures.

If you paint down in it, how do you prep it?

Thanks for any help.

Think i'm going to do semi-gloss.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did it I painted inside the ridge. Some people choose not to and think it looks better but I think it looks incomplete when it is not painted. Also when I did it I just folded a pice of sandpaper in half but didn't crease it. This way it would stay rounded and sand inside the ridge. Also it is easier to keep the line straight towards the top part of the indention rather than trying to eyeball under it. And even if you don't have it straight no one will see it because its on the top of the indention! That is unless you have people laying on their back to look up into the indention.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I also did mine inside the ridge and went with semi-gloss. Not sure if I've actually seen it done without doing the inside portion, but I'm sure it still looks 12,334,129.3 times better than stock.

Last edited by 19torch99; 04-28-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Good deal. Thanks for the help guys. Going to try it next wednesday, that's my next day off.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Here it is when its not painted. Like I said it looks incomplete.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by porksoda
Here it is when its not painted. Like I said it looks incomplete.
Yeah, you weren't kidding. I'll definately paint the ridge.

Hopefully I can get an answer without running another thread, does anyone know if it is easier to paint semi-gloss or paint flat and then clearcoat it?

Let's face it, it's really hard to mess up flat paint. But I have never actually used clearcoat before so I don't really know how it lays.

I don't mind the look of the flat. I'm just afraid it won't clean up right, which is why I want to do atleast a semi-gloss.

I may just find something else to practice on before shooting mine.

Any advise?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Are you using rattle can paint or an actual gun? When I did mine I just used glossy rattle can black paint, no clear, this was after I sanded and sprayed with primer of course! It came out awesome too, smooth as hell and cleans up nicely. I just used gloss so it would match the car being glossy as well. Others prefer flat or semi-gloss.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by porksoda
Are you using rattle can paint or an actual gun? When I did mine I just used glossy rattle can black paint, no clear, this was after I sanded and sprayed with primer of course! It came out awesome too, smooth as hell and cleans up nicely. I just used gloss so it would match the car being glossy as well. Others prefer flat or semi-gloss.
I would rather use rattle. Was going to use semi, but I think with the metallic in my paint the glossy would look better. I just figured gloss would show more imperfections.

What brand paint did you use?

I have painted plenty of small vehicle parts, but nothing that anyone that comes up behind me can't help but see.