Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Glue remnants from stickers on window...how do you get rid of them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glue remnants from stickers on window...how do you get rid of them?

My friend just bought herself a 98 Z28. The brain that sold the car, though it was a good idea to put "For Sale" and two phone numbers on both the front and rear windshield using Vinyl stickers. I have been trying to get that **** off, but wow...it's resilient. I used a razor to peel the letters off, then went to work on the glue remnants with Goo Be Gone. That lifted the glue up pretty easily, but you can still see the letters and numbers. I was doing this in the middle of the night and it's pretty humid out, so as soon as the dew lands on where the letters used to be, they show up clearly. After the Goo Be Gone I tried some glass cleaner, some Meguiars Cleaner wax, Alcohol, then Goo Be Gone again....to no avail. As you wipe over it, they disappear, then just reappear as more dew settles. You can't physically feel anymore of the glue, and going over the area with a razor blade doesn't do any good either.

What else can I try? A clay bar maybe? Paint thinner? I mean, the stuff is gone, but the dew still outlines it.

Help!!
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk if i would try it, but i just read some crazy things about wd40...

wd40 stands for

wd=water displacement
40=the 40th formula they developed

from what i just read, wd40 is wont hurt your paint...i also read it is good for taking sticky things off, such as stickers/decals/double sided tape....

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew?

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some of the uses:
1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37) Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."
38) The favorite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40) Use it for fire ant bites . It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL

and a link to a bunch of uses for wd40
http://wd40.com/pdfs/WD-40_2000UsesList.pdf
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

WD-40 on a rag works great. You can also buy something called "Sticker Shock" at Autozone in a spray can that works even better.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
WD-40 on a rag works great. You can also buy something called "Sticker Shock" at Autozone in a spray can that works even better.
Sticker shock. im going to look for that. But wd40 should work and wont hurt your paint at all.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used WD40 on the paint, and that came off no problem. It's the windows that are the problem. During the day it's fine, it's just that dew overnight will show it. Very weird. I didn't use WD40 on the windows because I went with Goo Be Gone right away which is supposed to be stronger stuff. But at this point, I think I'll try WD40 later on.

Note to self, don't buy a car that you see in the dark, at around 11 PM at night. Don't know how I missed it, but the passenger side front bumper is kinda squashed in, no cracks in the paint, it just is bent in...not sure how to fix that efficiently without replacing the nose. Driver side signal light is broken, no biggie there, will go with aftermarket headlights and signal lights anyways. What I did see is that the rear bumper has been repainted along with the driver side rear fender, bad paintjob at that, it's peeling where the rear fender meets the roof. But..once again, that's ok, she wants to paint the car PINK!

Quick Reply: Glue remnants from stickers on window...how do you get rid of them?