Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap in 3rd gen, little help please with wiring!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 swap in 3rd gen, little help please with wiring!!!

So i've started the swap, I picked up a wrecked TA for 3,000 90k miles and began to disassemble it. My plans is to have a LS1/T56 with working TA interior(dash,console, and seats). I've done some research and it seems like the wiring is the hardest challange most people face. I was careful to keep all my wiring intact but ran into a problem when trying to remove the wiring by the power booster that goes to the dash?? here are some pics, anyone know how to remove it? thanks in advance.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5343287

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5343286
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5343285
Old 04-30-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man. Phew...I forgot what a mess that process looks like!

First, clear up what you are doing. When you say working TA dash and console and all...do you mean you are swapping in the LS1 dash as well as doing the motor swap? If so, you have a bit more wiring than just swapping the motor.

Lets see...if you are just swapping the motor, you only need whats in the engine bay to make it work. If you are in fact doign the entire dash and all, then you have to carefully remove all the wiring and make sure you dont miss anything. I couldnt get the wiring out of the 99 camaro donor car without cutting it. But I wasnt using it all so I wasnt careful about it either.

If I were you, Ide strip your 3rd gen down first. Take out your dash, and motor and all, and start with it as basic as you can get it. It really all depends on how far you are going with that 4th gen harness. You can probably use 100% of it for your car if you tried. Once your 3rd gen is stripped, start removign things from the fourth gen, and transfer it right over. You wont get as overwhelmed for one thing, and you'll be able to keep track of whats what. Ide install and hook up the motor last after you get your dash sorted out.

I know that probably didnt help you much. Thats going to be a fun bit of wiring to get everything transferred over, but not impossible.

Justin
Old 04-30-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey thanks a lot, yeah I am doing the complete dash transplant I really don't want to start cutting wires but it looks like it might be necessary!!! I've seen some people use the fuse and relay boxes while other people skip them, I just want to know what people did about transfering those items and which ones are needed for the dash.

P.S. awesome car, any more pics of it?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah there are different ways of doing the transplant. Since you are doing motor and interior, the best way is to just utilize all of the 4th gen wiring as well. Simply because you have all of the plugs and grounds and hookups right there. Definetly take pictures and notes and tag things as you un-hook them or I garauntee you will be back on here trying to figure out what plug is what. haha...

Organization is your friend with something like this. Ide say pull the 4th gen dash, and mount it in your car first. Then start to transfer the harness. You dont have to route and mount things 100% the same in your car...so that makes ti alittle easier.

There has to be a way to remove that body harness without cutting it. I think the back of one of the fuse panels will come apart like a big bulkhead plug, and you should be able to sneak it through the firewall. I just cant remember.... There are guys who have done it... maybe they will chime in.

There are plenty of pics on here of my car. Just do a username search for me and you'll find em. Thanks for the compliment on the car.

Any more questions just ask.

Justin
Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Yep, just disassemble the interior and you'll find that you can remove the complete harness without cuts. Use the complete 4th gen harness (fuses, etc.) and splice in the 3rd gen stock harness for lights, locks, etc.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap in 3rd gen, little help please with wiring!!!