Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finished trans go install. My thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished trans go install. My thoughts.

well i finaly finished the install. that was fun lol. prob wouldnt have been to bad if it was on a lift and not on my back. few snags along the way. the kit i bought was dated back in 1998. so it didnt match my 2002 tranny but all parts still worked. broke one of the longest valve body bolts and had to take down it again. that bolt was the last one that needed to be tightened lol. anyways its back together and shifts through all 4. next filter change i think i might take the one spacer out of the 2nd accum housing. little to firm for my taste but ok for now. also im hoping the tranny techs can chim in on this. since i installed the kit, shifting from park to R and the drives is rather harsh and makes the rear end squeak. its fine driving just when you shift out of park. is this becuase of the new boost valve i installed? id like to fix it if i can. other than that it shifts great and worth the time. had to ditch the super chips tuner due to it making the engine ping at WOT. so i needed something to firm up the slush box.

corey
Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a tune you should return the transmission line pressures back to the factory setting to reduce the garage shift engagements. I looked in your Sig and I see that you do not have a stall listed. A stall will lessen the feel of the apply. Might be something to think about.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have the Shift kit from 1998, then you replaced the forward accumulator spring with a stiffer one. This will make forward a firmer engagement. If you go to a smaller diameter torque converter, then this will not be of a concern. If you are going to stick with the stock TC, and want some of the smoothness back, I would put the stock forward accumulator spring back in.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Good advise Dayna. I forgot about the early kit with the white forward accumulator springs. I never use to use them. LOL
Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Vince, i think you were talking about the front acumm spring recently. saying dont use it (i think). you were talking about the old kit to "redvet99". im going to stick w/ the stock converter becuase i have plans for an M6 down the road. i think ill take you guys advice and return the front accum to stock (and take out the one spacer in the 2nd acumm housing). you think by putting the front stock spring back in that it should loosen up the park to reverse/drive abit? i mean other than that it shifts how i wanted it to. im going to get a look at line pressure this week to make sure everything is ok. just got done reading the long sticky about line pressure. lol still torn between whats good and bad though (line pressure).

corey
Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Sounds like you are on the right track. If you could get a line pressure reading before dropping the pan it might be a good idea. You might want to also reduce the line pressure a bit by adjusting the pcs/epc solenoid. I think that changing the forward accumulator back to stock will help with forward engagements although I do not know if it is going to help you with the reverse engagement. I think that the early valve from trans-go was modified for higher reverse boost oil. I can't remember at this point. But getting a line pressure reading in forward and reverse will add some info for your thread. Also do this test at idle and do a WOT break torque so we have some base #'s to look at.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill post up some line pressures later this week. i cant imagin trans-go would make line pressure unsafe but you never know. what exactly does the front accumulator do?