Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Quick Monsoon question after reading FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Monsoon question after reading FAQ

Newb here.

Quick question - I chatted with a guy at Crutchfield and he recommended using Infinity 6022si speakers in the doors and sail panels. The top mount depth on these is 1.75"

Another board recommended the Kappa 62.7i. These have a higher power handling - either choice is 2ohm. The top mount depth on these is 3" according to crutchfield, but another site says they're only 2 3/16"

Crutchfield says the 62.7i's won't fit, but others have used them.

So I'm looking for consensus...will the Infinity Kappa 62.7i speaker fit in the doors and sail panels?

Last edited by Desert Rat; 04-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend neither. Infinity speakers are bright and they will give most people listening fatigue. And sail panel speakers are subwoofers, so don't put regular speakers there unless you're prepared to run your own wires (the signal there is not full range) AND you either don't care much about bass or you put a real 10"/12" sub in the back.

If you still want Infinity speakers, I suggest you listen to them for no less than an hour straight before making your decision.

If you want to buy without listening, then Infinity is definitely a brand to avoid. In that case, I can give you some better suggestions if you give me some info on your budget.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

OK, thanks for that input. Not much experience on Infinities in a car...my wifes Hyundai has a factory infinity sound system that sounds far superior to the Monsoon, and I love my Infinity home speakers, but do please provide your recommendations...

2 ohm speakers are hard to come by....and on the sail panel, I assumed that since no high freq's go there, that only the bass portion of the speaker would be used....

My budget to replace the 4 speakers is $300 max.

Thanks for helping a noob.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

If you like Infinity home speakers, then the car speakers will probably be OK for you as well.

As for 2-ohm vs 4-ohm, this has been discussed many times before, but it doesn't matter which you get. What you want to look at is the sensitivity rating of a speaker. With stock power, you're best off getting one that's at least 90dB 1W/1m. Problem with that is that many companies, including Infinity, inflate this rating, so it's not always trustworthy.

How loud do you want to be able to listen? If you want it loud, you'll need an external amplifier with practically any set of speakers you can put in there anyway.

As for the sail panels, yes, you can put a coaxial speaker in and it will only play the bass. But that kind of speaker won't be as optimized for bass as a subwoofer and won't really give you much benefit.

If you want to spend $300, I recommend a set of Pioneer TS-C720PRS speakers for the front and perhaps an amp like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-7202...QQcmdZViewItem - you might go over that budget when you include an amp kit (should be around $20-25) but not by much

Leave the sail panel speakers stock, or disconnect them if they're blown. Don't put anything there in that case.

Save up and get a 10" or 12" sub in the back if you want more bass later. The 720PRS are supposed to be pretty good for bass, though.

In short, quality over quantity
Old 04-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

The comment on bright highes....seems you could tune that with the EQ, Bass and Treble settings.

What I really need to know on the infinities is will the Bass performance out do the stock speakers?

Even at moderate volume the sail panel speakers sound like a wooden spoon in a cardboard box. I think the previous owner replaced them, probably with inexpenisve 4 ohm speakers, but not sure what's in there - they just sound like crap.

I just bought this car - my previous car was a '95 Tbird with 4 5x7 Boston Acoustics and a premier head unit, and the sound in the Z28 doesn't even come close to even that basic system.

Finally, nobody really makes a 6.5" replacement sub, do they?

How about component mids....think I'd have better bass with those?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think Infinity will have much better bass than stock... Maybe a bit. Those Pioneers definitely will, though you'll have to find something to do with the tweeters.

You can get 6.5" subs from Tang Band and Mpyre Audio. www.partsexpress.com www.mpyreaudio.com

But 6.5" doesn't really make for good bass in any event. The Mpyres are the best you can get but for the price, you can go for a 10" or 12" that'll be better.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

How about just using the woofers from a component system in the sail panels?

Better, or no real difference?

I don't really want to wire in a new amp, etc., and those pioneers you posted up are big dollars.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

$300 is a small budget for 4 speakers if you're looking for volume and good bass on a stock amp...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I know...I'm not needing to thump other people out at intersections...just looking for an improvement over stock...I dont think what I have now even performs as well as the stock system since the previous owner replaced other speakers.

Thanks for all the tips. Gonna do some more research to get my best bang for the buck.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

The Infinitys will be an improvement, then. They wouldn't be enough for me, but it sounds like they might be enough for you. My advice would be to buy from a store with a decent return policy...

Quick Reply: Quick Monsoon question after reading FAQ