Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Experts chim in please

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experts chim in please

Well went to dyno the car today, and on the first pull I think we hurt it. The car made 580 rwhp / 555rwtq at 5600 rpm.

The dipstick blew out of its holder

Well I not sure what that means, but I did not want to risk anymore damage at this point.

The car appeared to be somewhat ok, but I get no oil pressure.

I had to get a flat bed trailer to bring it back to my house since I'm not willing to risk being stuck on the side of the road.

I also smelled a serious gasoline smell when I put it in my garage to deciede what direction to go in.

I cant take it apart right now because I'm bringing it back with me to Maryland next week.

If the motor is blown then its blown, but doesnt a blown motor give more obvious syptoms?

2003 Z06 D1SC

Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What it sounds like is that you may have blew a ring land... The dipstick is because your PCV system is pressurizing your crank case and blowing it out... Do a compression test on all of the cylinders... Easy way to tell...
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

yup you prob hurt your motor. do a compression check and leak down right away.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Same thing just happened to me 3 weeks ago on the dyno 4 pistons with broken ringlandings.

where in MD do you live. I work in MD
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Same thing just happened to me 3 weeks ago on the dyno 4 pistons with broken ringlandings.

where in MD do you live. I work in MD
I'm currently in New Orleans, but plan to trailer to the back to my 2nd home in Crofton, MD

Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you build the engine at all? At what lbs of boost were you at? I wouldn't run if it really has 0 oil pressure. Need a little more info.

No knocking sound? Did you shut the car off in the middle of a pull? Is it possible that the gas smell is from gas flushing down into the oil? The reason I ask this, is because last trip down the track last year my throttle cable broke, lost all oil pressure. Thought I hurt it. BUT the gas smell lead me to believe possible the gas mixed with the oil. I changed the oil, oil pressure went back to normal. I was lucky

On the oil stick blowing out. Any type of venting? USUALLY the stick blows out because of extreme pressure in the crank.

Oh course you could have hurt the engine also. BUT what is a $10-15 oil change compared to tearing it down just to find out that nothing is wrong with the engine.

David
Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Motor is not built, stock bottom end.

boost was 10lbs

No knocking sounds, and no smoke.

I have a vent cap that replaced my oil fill cap.

Car did not shut off in the middle of the run. In fact it sounded / sounds fine.

It does a little rough idle, but again no smoke.

With the oil cap off, no smoke just air

Thanks for your help
Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATIBlownZ06
The dipstick blew out of its holder... I get no oil pressure.

. . .doesnt a blown motor give more obvious syptoms?
Hmmm. A dipstick blown out and no oil pressure are pretty obvious symptoms. A compression check will say for definitely sure, though.

Mike
Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

My car drove fine with the 4 cracked pistons. I but my car was smoking out of the breathers. And that was only with 8lbs and the stock bottum end.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
Hmmm. A dipstick blown out and no oil pressure are pretty obvious symptoms. A compression check will say for definitely sure, though.

Mike

Those couldn't be more unrelated. You can crack all 8 pistons and still have oil pressure.

I'd say if you have a breather and are still pressurizing the crank case enough to blow out the dipstick then your engine has been damaged. Maybe you spun some bearings or something, that might explain the oil pressure problem.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well,you think the motor might be wrecked so start it up and let it run.If there is no oil pressure then shut it off.580rwhp on a stock motor at that rpm would lead me to expect timing was set too high which could wreck a piston but I don't see oil pressure dropping.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
Those couldn't be more unrelated. You can crack all 8 pistons and still have oil pressure.
No kidding. I know that, but both are "obvious symptoms" of something bad going on in the motor.