General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how to get to lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to get to lifters?

After watching the building of a stroker on Horsepower TV, it seems as if I can get to my lifters by simply unbolting the manifold. Is this true? The shop said that I had to remove the heads.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the shop was correct. You will have to remove the heads in order to access the lifters.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
After watching the building of a stroker on Horsepower TV, it seems as if I can get to my lifters by simply unbolting the manifold. Is this true? The shop said that I had to remove the heads.
As was already said, the shop is right. That buildup(I watched it too) was on an older chevy 350.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, time for seafoam.. Could it be that the shop didn't adjust the lifters right after putting in my cheatr cam or do you even have to adjust lifters.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

They don't need to be adjusted, but one of your rocker arms might not be adjusted right. Are you getting some noise that you didnt have before?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
They don't need to be adjusted, but one of your rocker arms might not be adjusted right. Are you getting some noise that you didnt have before?
It's just an annoying tap. that has been there since the install. I'm thinking maybe some trash got in the bottom end because they dropped my oil pan twice and the gasket job looked tacky. I'm going to try some seafoam. If it's a bent pushrod or something, then it was done on the dyno before I ever picked it up. Since the car makes a consistent 394 the shop is insisting that everything is ok.