Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Fresh meat...got commissioned today

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fresh meat...got commissioned today

Hey guys, I just got accepted into the Army-Baylor medical program and will be entering as a 2nd LT in Sept. at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio TX to start med school. If you have any pointers or tips feel free to let me know what to expect. I'm coming in with no prior military background.

As far as the car is concerned, I'm selling my current forged twin turbo drivetrain this weekend and will be doing another build over the summer/into the winter.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it all and it is a great experience for you.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if its in the other services or not, but in the AF, we have *alot* of officers who dont have any prior military service as enlisted and they seem to think their intellect is far superior than any other. well...at least, thats the "vibe" they give off anyway.

my only suggestion is that once u make butter bar, dont act like ur so much better than the enlisted personnel. u'll be making as much money as an e-6 who's been in for ~9 years, technically have more authority, alongside more responsibility, but one thing u wont have is experience - which happens to be what gets the job done. in the AF, i've seen a CMSgt (E-9) pimp-slap a butter bar for tryin to tell him how to run the bomb dump. not to mention, ive heard a few stories where higher ranking individuals (mainly SNCOs) who scoff at just about any field grade officer. they say a CMSgt. doesnt really have to listen to anyone under o-4, and i believe it.

just a few words of advice, tryin to stick up for the enlisted folks out there. ive seen this kinda stuff happen alot in just 4 1/2 years.

congrats on the acceptance tho - prepare for some hard work, but in the end, it'll all be worth it!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man! Take care of your enlisted side and they'll take care of you. Camaroguy_02 isn't lying, I've seen my father personally(E8) laugh and walk away from a new LT that tried to pull 'rank' on him.... needless to say a little birdy had a conversation with the LT a bit later... SNCO's can teach you a lot, they'll be your best to learn from. Again congrats, it should be a great experience for you.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I'm not the arrogant kind. When I'm in a new environment I turn into a sponge and seek help and guidance of anyone around me. Even down the road I'm not going to be the guy who talks down to others regardless of rank....unless they're acting a fool...you know.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

read the funny officer stories and just dont be like any of those guys lol......everything has pretty much been said.....ive been in for 3 years and i hate getting butter bars that come in thinking they are hot ****
Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
JUICED96Z

Congrats man. LISTEN to your senior non-coms!

Even Generals have open ears to them.

Show them the respect they have earned and ask questions and they will bend over backwards wi help you.

Good NCO's make officers good officers, good officers listen to good NCO's.

There have been times that lower ranked officers have been OWNED by senior non-coms.

Have heard of butter bars being put on coffee detail for the CMSGTS and CSM's for being stupid and disrepectfull.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 05-09-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 PM
NKAWTG...N

Congrats! I've got one year and 6 days til I pin on butter bars.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Congrats! I've got one year and 6 days til I pin on butter bars.

Read sig fly boy

Best maintainer quote and it came from my old man "Sir, you CAN NOT take that Mt Dew on the F-16 with you"

"But I just got it"

"I don't care, give it to me now, it will be here when you get back"

"ok"

It was left there all right.... on the flight line at Tyndall BWHAHAHA

Can we say hot Mt Dew...........
Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM
NKAWTG...N

Juiced, one my cadre, o-3 was a maint guy. We all trade shots back and forth. He loves picking on the o-3 CE guy.

But as to your signature, a maint guy without a pilot is out of a job.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so I'll be extra courteous and humble around senior NCO's. Got it. My impression so far is that I won't be very involved with other areas of the base as I will be doing a full time medical school program where I report to base in AM, go to class, then leave in the afternoon and that's about it. Just full time school on the base for 3 years then to army hospital. So fill me in if I'm wrong but as I have been told, my duties will be very different that a standard officers orders since I'm a student....
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

If you going to medical school...your like the af aquivalent of COTS? (commissioned officer training school) If your gonna be working in the hospital you wont be doing anything majorly "military". Different world from the regular boots, especially since you'll be going to school.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

on the other side, you don't want to end up being someone's bitch, if you're the OIC, it's your *** on the line, so don't be afraid to make a command decision. That doesn't mean don't listen or give proper respect to SNCOs (they will save your *** and 90% of what I've learned over the last 4 years was from SNCOs), but I wouldn't go as far as saying be "humble"

That said, the medical field is it's own world, so most of our experiences are going to be very different than yours.

that said, congrats on the commision
Old 05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you going to medical school...your like the af aquivalent of COTS? (commissioned officer training school) If your gonna be working in the hospital you wont be doing anything majorly "military". Different world from the regular boots, especially since you'll be going to school.
Yeah, that's what I've been told and was hoping would be the case. I'm just trying to get through med school and get my doctorate then serve as an army Doc.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

pretty much everything has been said...listen to us enlisted!!

im not sure about the Army, but in the AF, anything other than MXG (maintenance group) is wut most people wuld call "an average job with a uniform." before i came in, everybody told me the AF was another civilian job, only with a uniform. now that i've been a few years, ive come to the conclusion that its any job outside the maintenance career field that is going to be similar to the civilian world. with that in mind, id imagine ur life wuld be a bit easier in the medical world.

lol we even had a lt. col. tell us at an MPOY banquet that the MXG gets screwed constantly... then he proceeded to try an boost our morale by yelling "but we love gettin screwed!!!" ... that was the first, and the last, MPOY i will ever go to.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

since youre going to be a student things will be very different for you but its all gravy i would kill to go back to a tradoc environment......secondly i highly doubt you will get a doctorete the majority of the armies pa's dont have doctoretes
Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 AM
JUICED96Z

Juiced, one my cadre, o-3 was a maint guy. We all trade shots back and forth. He loves picking on the o-3 CE guy.

But as to your signature, a maint guy without a pilot is out of a job.

Naaaa, airplanes break just sitting around and lots of planes in museums that allways need up keep

Quick Reply: Fresh meat...got commissioned today