Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver side seat issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver side seat issue

Not sure if the seat is off track or what, when moving forward or backwards it makes a "clunking" noise as it travels. However it will go all the way forward and back. The kicker is regardless where it is on the track if you lean back, you can feel the front left area of the bottom of the seat lift off the track or whatever just enough to be a friggin pain! Ecspecially when going around corners. Any ideas, happened to anyone before? Been bugging the **** outta me for over 3 years and im so tired of it that im finally going to ask for help.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by SupermanSS
Not sure if the seat is off track or what, when moving forward or backwards it makes a "clunking" noise as it travels. However it will go all the way forward and back. The kicker is regardless where it is on the track if you lean back, you can feel the front left area of the bottom of the seat lift off the track or whatever just enough to be a friggin pain! Ecspecially when going around corners. Any ideas, happened to anyone before? Been bugging the **** outta me for over 3 years and im so tired of it that im finally going to ask for help.

Is it a 6way power seat?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kage
Is it a 6way power seat?
Yezzir
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The lifting could be a cracked seat frame. I somehow cracked mine a while back and the seat bottom would flex. Disassemble the seat and inspect. Pull the bottom cushion off the frame and see if the frame is cracked. My father and I hammered and bent it back into shape and his friend welded it back up. Its fine now. BTW, if you're like me and had to drive the car while the seat bottom frame was out being welded, the bottom of the driver and passenger seat are identical. The only change is to move a threaded clip from one side of the bottom seat frame to the other. In fact, by driver's bottom is still the passenger one. When the frame came back from being welded, I installed it on the passenger seat.

Since you're there, you'll notice that the central support for the cushion is a bunch of thin wires that cut into the cushion causing the seat bottom to compress over time. I didn't do it then, but I'm contemplating it. If may be a good idea to put something flat and sturdy across those wires to isolate them from the foam to keep them from cutting into it.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
The lifting could be a cracked seat frame. I somehow cracked mine a while back and the seat bottom would flex. Disassemble the seat and inspect. Pull the bottom cushion off the frame and see if the frame is cracked. My father and I hammered and bent it back into shape and his friend welded it back up. Its fine now. BTW, if you're like me and had to drive the car while the seat bottom frame was out being welded, the bottom of the driver and passenger seat are identical. The only change is to move a threaded clip from one side of the bottom seat frame to the other. In fact, by driver's bottom is still the passenger one. When the frame came back from being welded, I installed it on the passenger seat.

Since you're there, you'll notice that the central support for the cushion is a bunch of thin wires that cut into the cushion causing the seat bottom to compress over time. I didn't do it then, but I'm contemplating it. If may be a good idea to put something flat and sturdy across those wires to isolate them from the foam to keep them from cutting into it.

Awesome man thanks. Any write-ups anywhere with info on how to get the seat out?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I've only done it twice (driver once and passenger once) and this is from memory...
Its really easy.

How to remove the seat from the car:
Step 1: Unscrew seat belt guide.
Step 2: Slide the seat all the way back and remove the two front floor nuts
Step 3: Slide the seat all the way forward and remove the two rear floor nuts
Step 4: Disconnect the power and air hoses from the seat
Step 5: Remove seat (Remember the orientation of the plastic pieces that cover the track)

How to disassemble seat:
Step 1: Remove screws holding on plastic side trim piece with buttons
Step 2: Remove the 4 bolts holding the track to the seat (may require sliding the track back/forth, Remember the orientation of the plastic pieces that cover the track)
Step 3: Remove Large side bolts holding the back and bottom together

How to remove cloth lower cushion from frame:
(Leather is probably similar)
Step 1: At the front and rear there are two long white clips holding the fabric onto the frame. Pull off these two clips one at a time (may require some prying, be gentle though to as not to damage them). I don't remember if there are any side clips as well, but they'll come off the same way.
Step 2: Work off the fabric cover
Step 3: If the foam didn't pull off with the cover, then pull it off the frame (be careful not to rip it.)
Step 5: Remove

If I missed anything, you'll figure it out. Its really easy.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-09-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Yeah im an idiot. Just to give an update finally took the seat out today to check what the issue was because the other night i almost fell into the back seat taking off from a light it was so bad. Figured all kinds of **** was broken...nope front left bolt was all the way out, how it backed all the way out have no idea. so yeah been riding around for almost 5-6 years with the seat like a rocking chair and was to lazy to pull it and see what was wrong...and yes i do feel retarded now. haha. got everything put back together and i had forgotten how nice the stock seats are when they dont rock.

anyone know how hard it is to put those ebay seat covers on them seats?

Quick Reply: Driver side seat issue