Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch ?'s

First off...my car randomly pops outta gear, I cannot tell if I'm being lazy and not getting it all the way into gear when I'm not paying attention or if I have clutch/tranny issue. What could cause it to just pop outta gear. Its only right after I put it into gear and release the clutch, does not matter if i'm cornering or going straight, and it does not do it ALL the time.

Secondly I've been searching and cannot find what I'm looking for so I thought I'd make a post...I am wanting to redo my clutch this summer and am wondering what is EVERYTHING I would need to redo it, and how much it would all cost I have a stock 98 Trans Am and use it as a daily driver, I'm considering going with an LS7/LS2 setup but I am not sure what I would need to buy to switch it over. I will probably buy everything used, I have about 900 bucks to spend on everything. I'll be doing the install myself also. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First the popping out issue... is it happening in every gear or just specific gears? If it's happening in 3rd it's 75% a bent 3/4 fork.

For your clutch install you need the clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing. You'll need to either resurface your flywheel or get a new one. None of this stuff you'll want to buy used, and with a $900 budget you can easily get a clutch set up that will perform fine. Even the low end clutches from most vendors will handle more power than a minimally modded car makes.

Tool wise you'll need a puller for the pilot bearing (rent it at autozone), typical hand tools, some long (+30") socket extensions, jack that can get the car up in the air high enough, jack stands to hold it that high, a torque wrench, and a trans jack is nice but not necessary. Optionally you should probably replace the slave cylinder while doing the clutch as your 98 slave has been replaced by a better design and it sucks to have to rip it apart again if it breaks.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

O did I meantion I have access to lifts? haha I got to an auto school and can do it there. I'd like to have a clutch that can handle ~400whp. what clutch setup would you suggest? I do not do alot of racing at the track but I do do alot of street racing (no clutch dumps or anything).
Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

A Stage 1 upgrade would be fine for this torque level. Especially considering it is daily driven and you don't seem to be looking to track your car much.