Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange Clutch Problem, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Clutch Problem, Need Help

I just got finished installing a slightly used Spec 3 with Billet flywheel in my car 2 days ago. The old clutch had about 120K on it and was starting to slip quite a bit. Install went pretty smooth until we were putting the tranny back in and I went to plug the clutch line into the slave cylinder. It wouldn't go in at all, after 15 min of trying different methods, I gave up on that and just bought a new one and the line went right in and we blead the line and everything was yippy skippy......Or so I thought. Got everything bolted back up, shifter, Driveshaft and put in 4 quarts of brand new Dexron III tranny fluid. Changed the oil while I had the car up in the air and then she was ready to have her initial drive to test it out.

Well, upon backing it out of the garage, I noticed that the clutch is pretty stiff and the pedal doesn't catch until the last 1/2" of being all the way out. I am thinking this is strange but maybe it will work itself in over a short period of time. I pull out of the driveway and as soon as I give it any throttle at all, the result is: Engine starts turning out RPM's and the car doesn't hardly move at all!! It is like the clutch is engaging only 1/5 of the way!! Every gear has the same result. It is like I am in neutral just hitting the throttle and a few seconds later the clutch starts to slowly grab (just a very tiny bit).

New Pilot Bearing was installed with the clutch, the flywheel had a couple of worn spots in it, but nothing major. The pressure plate also had minimal wear. What could this possibly be????? Has anyone else ever expierenced anything of this nature?

Someone with more Manual Transmission knowledge help me please.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pressure plate isn't clamping the disc to the flywheel. I'd guess a bad PP, improperly torque pp to flywheel bolts, or excessively worn disc. Considering it's a used clutch I'd bet on the last 2 options.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are the torque specs on the flywheel bolts? The disc isn't excessively worn, although it does have a some wear. Would the new slave cylinder have anything to do with this?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there was an issue with the new slave it would be that the clutch wasn't releasing properly. Your case is that the clutch isn't completely engaging.

Search is down on the forum now, but I did a google search and came up with this. The pressure plate bolts should be torqued in a star pattern and in 3 passes. The first pass to 20ft lbs, 2nd pass to 40 ft lbs, 3rd pass to 52 ft lbs.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for finding the numbers for me. Has anyone else had any problem closely related to the one I am having?