Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Porsche Calipers and Wheel Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Porsche Calipers and Wheel Clearance

Hey all,

I'm fitting 17x11's (OE Concepts, ZR-1, 50mm offset) around Porsche 996TT calipers and have a clearance question. The caliper to spoke clearance is a good 0.3 - 0.32" with no spacer, which I think is fine (disagreements?). This also gives about the same clearance to the steering knuckle, which has the nub ground off.

BUT, facing the wheel, and looking at the outer surface at the upper end of the caliper (farthest from the hub), the clearance to the inside wheel surface is only about 0.05"!! The balance weights won't let the wheel turn! If I use the 7.5mm spacer that came with the Porsche kit, it improves the clearance a bit since there is about a 3" flat surface from the spokes towards the inside rim - after the flat part, it very gently slopes to the inside rim edge, giving a bit more clearance. BTW, the stock '01, 9" rims fit fine with the spacer.

So, what minimum clearance do you think is safe? How much do I need to grind the calipers?

BobP
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would also like to know,

Also, how much do kits like these cost, and the rotors and the pads?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Gunslinger, check with Prostop Performance to see the Porsche kit. The F-body kit plus pads will get you at $2K plus. Unfortunately, I haven't tracked these yet, but once the cooling ducsts are set up and some race pads are dropped in, I expect fade to basically be a thing of the past. Steve is a good guy to work with there.

BR
Bob

Last edited by VIP1; 05-15-2007 at 12:36 PM.