Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1971 Camaro Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Camaro Questions

I bought a Numbers matching 1971 project car on sunday and I was wondering if you guys could suggest some parts.

1. I'm planning on doing all bushings so I'm looking for a reasonably priced kit. This car is going to be a budget restore and turned into my daily driver.

2. I need to replace springs, shocks, and all other suspension pieces. Parts recommended here are greatly appreciated. Nastyz28 has been down for like 2 days and I need answers . There are just so many brands of shocks and stuff and I need a decent ride.

3. Car does not have power breaks so what exactly would I need to rig up a breakbooster in a non-power break car?

4. Steering upgrades?

5. Cheapest place to buy Autometer guages.

Thank you all very much. I'm 16 so I don't know as much as I like about cars and i've been researching this for about 3 months now and there are just so many decisions, I need some help . Working on a budget too so don't forget that unfortunate part ;].

-Dennis.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

NastyZ28 shows that Power front disk brakes were standard on this year Camaro. Are you sure they brakes are non-power assist?

Also, what type of Camaro is this? Engine size and type? Tranny type?

Rebuilding the suspension is not a job for a beginer unless you have somebody who knows about this helping or looking over your shoulder. It's not the hardest thing to do but it's far from the easiest. It also requires a few speciality tools.

Dont forget that there 6 bushings between the sub-frame and the car body in addition to the suspension soft parts.

And if you're that far into it might as well do the ball joints, tie rod ends and the pitman and idler arms.

I mention all of the above because, even though you are on a budget, all of these will require replacement on an older car at some point, especially if it has high mileage on the chassis.

Also IIRC, isn't Gilroy the home of The Garlic Festival?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disc brakes were standard starting in 1970, but power assist wasn't standard until 1981 models.

Energy Suspension makes a nice polyurethane bushing kit.

On the suspension parts, you have PLENTY of options, but you need to be a little more specific on what you want (example, are you on a budget? Do you want to have the car handle better than stock? Once you answer these questions, you can decide whether to go stock-style or aftermarket parts. Shock options alone are numerous!)

Swapping to power brakes would require a different booster/mc (valving was different from manual), possibly a different brake pushrod, and you'll need to re-do the hard lines to fit the new configuration.

Steering upgrades can be done with a fast ratio box for manual or power steering, and many resto houses have these.

Gauges can be bought plenty of places cheap, but mail order will likely be the best. Try a local speed shop as well.

Derek
Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah gilroy is home of the garlic festival. The car is going to run a saginaw 4 speed with a pumped 327 (380 hp).

I want to upgrade the suspension to better than stock but not too crazy. Just a budget ride. . I'll be replacing all the bushings along with the job too. My dad just finished doing the same thing on his 68 z28 so I'll have all the help I can ever need. I just need part names and etc.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought my 70, I used classic industries for most of my parts, Ebay was a great help too

Quick Reply: 1971 Camaro Questions