Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Oil Change Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Help

I had to change the oil in my 02 coupe yesterday. I could not get to the jacking points underneath the car in the middle so I used the skid bars under the front bumper. My question is: is this okay and is it going to harm the frame or the car in any way? It seemed fine when I did it and the car held up well. I just dont want to take the car to Jiffy Lube or those places because I had a friend with a brand new Z06 a few years ago and they forgot to tighten the oil plug all of the way and the motor seized when the oil left the car. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do that, however I use the front cradle and the rear cradle for jacking points. I have to remove the front center air dam, lowered Z06, so I can get to the front cradle.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

In my opinion you lucky you didn't damage anything including yourself. The skid bars are not a recognized jack point. If your having trouble getting the jack under it then invest in 5 dollars worth of lumber that you can drive up on to give you clearance. Some guys will lift from the drivers side rocker rail jack point and remove the front tire to get to the plug and filter.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who cares about damaging the car I personally wouldn't have gone under there with the car supported on the skid bar. Those are about the weakest things on the car they are meant to get beat up a bit and replaced easily.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Help