Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker mounts....Alternator clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker mounts....Alternator clearance issues

Well im in the process of swaping an LS1 a4 into my 69 camaro. The frame is ready to go to powdercoating but before it goes i decided to build my tranny crossmember and make sure it fits the frame ok. The crossmember came out great but im having clearance issues with the alternator hitting the frame. motor fits well with the alternator removed but it appears that the engine needs to raise between 1/4-1/2in. Im running stock rubber engine mounts with the tall style factory frame mounts. any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

I would say shim up the engine a bit with some washers or something like that. Possibly move the actual frame perches on the crossmber back some. I am having similar issues on my chevelle.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem. I'm using the Energy Suspension mounts they come with a spacer (preload plate). I ground down the nub on the back side and used it as a spacer. Then I used a cut off wheel and cut some of the cooling fins off, trim the black plastic piece where it was hitting the frame and took a grinder to a couple of areas on the alt. I have it all back together now it's close but I think it should be ok.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

I ended up putting 2 washers between the frame and the frame mounts on each bolt, and put 1 washer between the motor mount and the engine....problem solved. Getting my frame back from powdercoating tomorrow so we should have the motor trans in the camaro come friday evening. just curious what the next issue will be.

Quick Reply: Hooker mounts....Alternator clearance issues