Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speaker questioooons

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door speaker questioooons

I have this head unit:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKDCX791

and stock everything else.

Im wondering if there is a huge difference between the 6 1/2 Alpine S 250 watt speakers and the 300 watt speakers. I wanted to get 4 door speakers to enhance my sound, and im also wondering if I would need to purchase an amp to do so or if the stock monsoon could handle them fine.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Bump?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

get a seperate amp, as the monsoon works on a different OHM's than the stuff you bought, and will work but not sound very good.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTransAm02
I wanted to get 4 door speakers to enhance my sound, and im also wondering if I would need to purchase an amp to do so or if the stock monsoon could handle them fine.
You have a 4-door Trans Am?

I assume you mean you want to replace the door and sail panel speakers. This subject has been covered to death and is in the Monsoon FAQ but basically you can put in just about any speaker that will physically fit - it just won't improve the sound much (if at all). The doors will be fine except that you will be losing a channel because of replacing the components with coax unless you bi-wire them. The sail panels have a low-pass filtered signal so the Alpines will sound like crap unless you rewire. At a minimum you will have to give up your hatch speakers and pull their wiring forward to the sail panels to get a full-range signal. Certainly it won't matter whether you get 250W or 300W - the stock amp isn't capable of driving either one beyond its limits.

There are other replacement speaker options available but unless the stock speakers are blown, I would leave them alone at first until you see how the system sounds. Replacing the head unit is the best thing you can do to improve sound quality so you may be happy without replacing the speakers as well. And even if you aren't, you haven't lost anything - you can always replace the speakers later.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Launching!

I have had the car for 3 years, and 3 of the 4 of my speakers are blown.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, if you want to keep the Monsoon amp then I recommend the eD EU-700 subs for the sail panels and the Alpines for the doors if you bi-wire them (otherwise get a good set of components instead of coax speakers for the doors).