Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

upgrading stock non-monsoon speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default upgrading stock non-monsoon speakers

i've got a 98 z28 that i just put a pioneer premier cd player into. nothing fancy obviously, just a cheap cd player for the power tour.....i have a stock base sound sytem in it with the four 6" speakers. i'm getting the car ready for the trip and i've got some discounts to use at best buy, i'm wondering what i could get that would be a good upgrade over what i've got, especially for bass clarity....nothing crazy, but i'm guessing i can get something bettter than what i've got without dropping a lot of cash? let me know

josh
Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpine, I guess... BB has them. You want 6.5"s. Only replace the door speakers. The sail panel speakers are subwoofers and you need to replace them with subwoofers.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Alpine, I guess... BB has them. You want 6.5"s. Only replace the door speakers. The sail panel speakers are subwoofers and you need to replace them with subwoofers.
shows how much i know....they look the same to me
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jdustu
shows how much i know....they look the same to me
That's because they are. dragonrage missed that you have a base system rather than a Monsoon system. The base system has four 10-ohm "extended range" speakers mounted in the doors and the sail panels.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoops, my bad. Too used to dealing with Monsoon.

Still, though, dump all of your budget into fronts and if you have money left over, amp them or deaden your doors. Rear speakers, even if you want them, are one of the last things on the to-do list.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, i just got back from best buy, the dude there told me the difference between what i had and a monsoon......i got a couple of alpine s-type speakers, i guess i'll put them in the front then...thanks