Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch, master and slave install....now it wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New clutch, master and slave install....now it wont go into gear

For the past day and a half ive been screwing with this.

I put in a new McLeod single disk clutch, new oem master and new oem slave, new pilot bearing too. oh and new dexIII

After the install when I started it up for the first time, the thing wont go into gear, at all. Ive bled it for about 2 hours and i even pulled the tranny back out to make sure that the slave was touching the fingers.....

WTF???? Should I keep bleeding it? am I missing something?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

how are you bleeding it? and what slave are you using? 01-02 slave is what alot of people use, and it seems to work fine. i gravity bleed my master/slave for a while. i crack the slave cyl bleeder , take lid off of master, pour some clutch fluid in there. keep an eye on the fluid level so its not empty, keep pouring it in there, have a friend look under car to see how much fluid is coming out, itll drip then come out pretty steady fromt the bellhousing, that alone helps to push air out of the line. close bleeder valve. add more fluid to master. put lid on, pump the pedal 10-15x kinda fast. let it come up. crack bleeder, push pedal down, close bleeder. check your fluid level every now and then so u dont run dry and suck more air in lol. pump it up again, hold pedal down, crack bleeder, close bleeder. pump up again. i have done this time and time again and have not had any problems. repeat it a couple of times, the pedal should feel good. you should be fine as far as getting the air out of the system. did a shim come with the clutch/pressure plate? might have to use that
Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did everything you said except gravity bleed. No shim in the kit, but we measured the distance from the compressed slave to the trans mating surface and the same for the bellhousing surface to clutch fingers. they measure right. maybe ill gravity bleed it
Old 05-27-2007, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

yeah man its worth a shot, an old guy told me about that and its always worked for me, it just takes a lil time and some patience. let me know how you made out tomorrow on aim or here.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks man. Im at my wits end with this thing, so hopefully itll work
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mityvac bleeding worked for me but this time got speed bleeder and extension .That slave bleeder is in a really stupid spot!

Is your pedal firm or what? If not you have air leaks or too much air. If its firm and not giving you gears is it adjustable master. If not then you would think defective master or slave.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda in between spongy and firm. A firm spongyness you might call it LOL
Old 05-28-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok I have now bled 2 large bottles of fluid through it, and the pedal feels like stock again.....however, it still wont go in gear!

Help!

Does the Mcleod single disk require the adjustable master?

If I start the car in gear, the cars moves as soon as I let the clutch off the floor.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I called the tech help line today, and theyre saying that this clutch requires the adjustable master.......great, thats another $350 I dont have. Anyone need a new oem master? I have one thats only been on a car for 3 days, and the car hasnt been moved
Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a nearly new mcleod billet master . 250 US shipped and I take paypal. Its out of my car so can send it up quick you would need to take your line off your old master mcleod don't include the line with it.
I already just bought stock master as my textralia twin don't need adjustable.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember when I changed out my clutch & slave the shifter bolts came loose and I couldn't get it in gear. but I think you guys are right, you might try that adjustable MC.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Well I called the tech help line today, and theyre saying that this clutch requires the adjustable master.......great, thats another $350 I dont have. Anyone need a new oem master? I have one thats only been on a car for 3 days, and the car hasnt been moved

hey ram sells a sweet adj master for like 159.00 or 169.00!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Ram modifies the stock master as does cartech. You can modify your own if you want. Personally I am sick of adjustable hydraulics and blame them for my cartech clutch failure. I am glad my textralia uses no shims and stock hydraulics.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a Mcleod you ussually need there master or shim the slave.I would shim the slave since we had nothing but problems with the master.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an extra stock master that I can make adjustable....Will that work with this Mcleod clutch?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a ram shim if you want it.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, here's the deal. I got a mcleod master from a friend. It started bypassing fluid on him, so he rebuilt it. now I have it and its bypassing fluid again. Im about to rebuild it again tonight for now, but I know that this master is a POS, and im just wondering what my other options are. Supposedly with the mcleod single disk, it requires the bigger bore of their master to push the fingers far enough. Thats the problem I was having earlier in this post.

So...will a shim fix it so I can go back to the stock mastr? or will that just make the clutch slightly slip because its wont be fully engaged with it in there?

Or will making my stocker adjustable like the write up in this forum allow me to use it?