Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Ever Tired These??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone Ever Tired These??

the waterproof foam baffles to put behind hte door speakers to protect them from dirt and water. They dont rot disintegrate or sponge up water and are flexible. Anyone used these before i was thinking about putting them behind my door speakers on my camaro for added security to keep my speakers free of the elements etc.......
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

A long time ago I did. I had them sealed up tight to the speaker. I didn't know if I was supposed to install them this way because with them sealed like that they made noise. I punched a hole in them so they weren't sealed, and they still rattled.

I may have done something wrong, but I don't really see any sense in using them, water/dirt has never gotten to any door mounted speakers that I have had.

Brian
Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the ones I've seen before they don't have enough airspace volume hence the rattling. Most component type door speakers or coaxials for that matter are made for free air resonance and don't need to be sealed. They actually perform negatively if put in a sealed enclosure. Your Camaro has a plastic baffle the speaker mounts to that has a back to it that protects you speaker just fine. I have never had a problem with anything getting to my speaker and damaging it ever. In this case you'd probably do more damage to the speaker by putting it in there.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with the previous posts. I used some when i had MB Quarts and it made the speakers sound blown. they needed more air space.