Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

after market HU with monsoon amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market HU with monsoon amp?

I am currently working on a 02 camaro project with my dad. I am still running the stock speakers except the front doors have been swapped for the Eclipse SP6500 point stars and like how it sounds. Eventually, I want to expand the system for SQ but want to keep the Monsoon amp due to the college student budget. After upgrading to possibly an Alpine HU in order to use the preouts for 2 12in shallow mount Rockford P3s, would mids and highs running off the Monsoon amp be affected any?

Yes, I have done a search but all I could dig up was the simplicity of upgrading and wireing an after market HU to the Monsoon system. Nothing if upgrading will change the sound quality dramaticly like day and night.

Also, I have spoken with a local shop and they say the Monsoon system is a "closed loop" system and if you change anything, you'll never get back the factory sound quality. My experiance from the Eclipse speaker swap made the system sound better than factory but will a HU swap dramaticly change SQ?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Replacing the head unit will have an impact on sound quality. Whether it's "dramatic" is a matter of opinion but it will be noticeable. The cleaner signal from a decent aftermarket deck will allow you to use more volume without blowing speakers. The bass will not be as muddy and the highs will be clearer. Again, it's a matter of taste - some people like the "warm" sound of the factory system and don't like the "crisp" sound of aftermarket as much. But if you like the sound of your replacement speakers, I'd guess that you would also like the sound with an aftermarket head unit.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HU replacement in the f body is straight forward. Take out the old hu, buy a standard wire harness(nothing special), connect the harness and antena adaptor and all is good. If you want to retain steering wheel controls that is also not a issue with a PAC swi-x or pac swi-alp for the alpine hu's. The adjustments within the hu work just like they should and can fine tune the back and front speakers and subs seperate. Adding a Kenwood hu to my stock system made it sound better, less distortion at higher volume(audible), better control over speakers. Don't listen to car audio shops, they seem to know nothing about the newer f body's...for some reason they are stuck on all camaro's still have the bose system, which is not in your car. I am really happy with how my system sounds now with the 2ohm infinity 62.7i's and the 2 10's with the Kenwood x790 hu. The x790 kenwood hu is about $180 on ebay and I really think it fits in well with the system. 5 volt outs, control over hz, freq, etc, even a g tech type meter built in, can do custom screen savers etc.. mp3, color can be blue or green and having all the extra features to control cutoff points and seperate subwoofer adjustments make the stock amp sound great.

With older kenwood hu, but looks simular now(colors are same)

Last edited by rotwiler; 06-01-2007 at 04:39 AM.