Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Whining

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining

When im accelerating in 1,2,3rd gear, there is a whining that I can hear, quite loudly in fact. In 4th, it sounds like it goes away completely and really isnt noticeable in 5th or 6th on the highway. Any idea what this is as its driving me nuts.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Launching!

where is the sound comong from does it seem like its under your shifter?I had the exact same problem when I accelerated my vette from 1st,2nd, and 3rd I could here a whine from under the car and in a few weeks my torque tube internals snaped.alot of my friends and people said that it was my clutch so I replaced the whole clutch setup including flywheel,slave, and master.Then people really recomended me to replace my tranny,harden my input shaft,axles, and still nothing so I said F it.I raised my car from the rear,I went under it and I told my bro to spin my wheels while the car was off and in nuetral.I could hear scraping from the torque tube so I replaced my torque tube and Baam! that was it.So I explained my situation so you dont have to go thru alot of money and waisting your time just check your car carefully.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Interesting. It makes the sound when the clutch is in, out, neutral or in gear. I hadnt thought about it being a torque tube issue. Ill put it in the air and see if I hear that similar noise. What did your torque tube run you?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Launching!

It ran me 580 from a buddy who he says he has "connections" but they pretty much run around 500-600 on ebay.I thought that it was my clutch because the noise kinda stoped when I was slowing down and I pressed my clutch pedal but actually it got quieter because my rpms droped a bit.When you said that the noise isnt noticeable in 5th and 6th its probably because your torque tube isnt spinning as fast as your first gears like 1st to 3rd but yeah just make sure thats it.It's mostlikely it from what your explaning to me.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

I will definitely check it out. It does get a bit louder on decel from say 10mph to 3-4 then goes away completely. I will check this out asap as what you said yours did is pretty close to what mines doing.

Quick Reply: Whining