Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

newb brake help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb brake help

probably been posted or discussed before, but I searched and theres no specific thread about this. Also, I'd post in the newb section, but being brake specific, I figured I'd get more expertise here.

I need to replace my front brakes quickly. I had to replace a tie end rod and I was told it was under stress by warped rotors, all in the front. Heck, I only took it in cause I figured I was due for a pad change, so I guess I gotta do it all (unexpected so soon, arrrgh!)

But my question is; is there a huge deal when replacing the rotors and pads just in the front and not the back?

I hear the front will wear considerably faster anyway, but I just wonder if it will cause unnecessary wear on the new pads OR rotor. Yes, the rotors will be the same size (but a different brand -stock in back, brembo blanks in front).

This is somewhat of a temporary fix, I admit. I know there will be some that will insist "dude, just get all 4 and be done with it." However, I just graduated college and am looking for that career, so money is super tight and I may be riding like this for upto 6-12 months.

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Nope, most of us just do whichever need replacing. No need to replace all brakes on a car at the same time, just at least one axle at a time (obviously). Go ahead and do whatever you want to the front while leaving the back alone (as long as they're working and aren't frozen up or digging gouges into the rotors...at that point, they'd need replacing too).

Where are you buying everything from? Since you said you're in a hurry I imagine you're going to a parts store? Stay away from the Duralast Golds that Autozone carries (the regular Duralasts are okay though). The Golds make all kinds of noise and squeaks, no matter how much goop/grease/spray you use on the install.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went to autozone and got their duralast rotors
found the ws6 store and they shipped me Hawk HPS pads the NEXT DAY
couldn't find a quick place to ship the ATE SuperBlue to me quick, so I HAD to get RAPED by the local Porsche dealer for $30 for 1 liter! I was pissed, but I just want to get this done and not hurt the brakes, and for the piece of mind....whatever. :-(