Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks review

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks review

Well my Kooks headers are in. After waiting and waiting on the QTPs, then finally going with Kooks - I could not have been happier. I have had my F1 cam in the car for over a month and it was just dying with the stock manifolds on there. This evening when I started it up with open headers - man oh man - what a sweet sound.

Install was not to bad. the passenger side header goes in in about 2 minutes. The driver side is a little more complicated. The way that I got it in was to pull the alternator to access the motor mount bolt. Remove the motor mount bolt on the driver side. Jacked the motor up a bit. Then more or less stood the header on the collector and pushed it in. It was still a little tight, but it went in fine. After that everything else was a breeze. No problem what so ever accessing the spark plugs on either side. No problem tightening any of the header bolts. Oil filter has plenty of clearance and the ground clearance looks good. I haven't put the ypipe on yet as I ran short on time today, but ground clearance doesn't look like its going to be a problem at all. I also have SLP subframes and it appears that there won't be a problem with the SLPs and the Kooks header/ypipe combo. I am really happy with the headers and delivery time was great - delivered 2 weeks to the day from when I ordered them.

Also - the kooks package is really nice. Came with 3'' wide band clamps that were a little different than any i've seen before - bigger diameter on half, smaller on the other half. Should really prevent any kind of leaks - pretty nice. Also came with new header gaskets and bolts. Oh and stickers..haha.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Kooks review

which set did you get 1 3/4, 1 7/8, or stepped? Stainless steel or coated?
Getting mine in two weeks
Old 05-01-2003, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Did you have to remove the oil filter during the install? I have read other header installs where this was needed.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

98 LPE SS - yes I did have to remove the oil filter. Guess I forgot to add that in the original description.

I have 1 3/4 stainless with ypipe (no cats).
Old 05-01-2003, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. I asked because I have a set of Kooks with the RT Y pipe on order and it is about time for an oil change also. I figured if i had to take off the filter anyways, that would be a good time to change the oil too.