General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with ABS

Recently my ABS and ASR lights went off in my car and I've had two shops take a look at it. One shop said that whole ABS module went bad, while I had another shop say to replace just the front right wheel sensor. The 2nd shop ran the Tech 2 from GM and I was there for the scan, it only threw ONE code. It threw the C0040, which is the front right wheel sensor. I'm a bit confused as to what the first shop did in order to determine that my whole module was bad. Wouldn't it throw more than one code if the whole thing was bad? An ABS module is expensive, so I don't want to rush into it. For the front wheel sensor, the 2nd shop gave me a quote of 235... I don't wanna replace that, then have it not work. Any ideas?

If it helps any, my problem started when I hit the brakes real hard, but it was only for about 2 seconds...
Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

ttt...
Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd see if I could find a used sensor off somebody parting their car out. Since the car is still drivable I wouldn't rush into spending big $$. Especially since you're not 100% certain of the cause. The wheel sensor makes the most sense to me. I'd start there.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

There's a couple of reasons why they recommended the ABS controller...

1. They're idiots

2. They were trying to make more money off of you

or

3. They went through the diagnostic tests, actually checking wires & pinouts, and decided that the module was to blame.

I say #3 because I had a rear wheel sensor that was throwing a code. I replaced the sensor and the code was still there. I checked the wires, I busted out the multimeter and checked resistance and voltage, and supposedly traced the problem back to the module. It turns out though I didn't look hard enough. Under some convolute tubing/electrical tape, a wire in the rear sensor harness had been chewed up, causing the sensor problem. So maybe they over looked something.

Most likely the sensor or the wiring is the cause...seldom do the whole dang modules go bad. You can get a replacement sensor on here for cheap...and make sure you check out the wiring in depth to make sure nothing is pinched or broken.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check the reluctor wheel...(the toothed wheel that creates the magnetic pulses), for any type of damage...its rare...but its not impossible for a tooth to get damaged by road debris...and that will throw off the sensors pattern.