General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C and Fan Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C and Fan Problems

I just replaced my A/C compressor, lines, accumulator, and belt with lwo mileage used ones. At first I thought something was wrong with the compressor because I would feel a slight loss in power when I was driving around town. I just had it recharged today so I didn't think it was anything leaking.

It worked for a while and then it got hot. I knew that my fans hadn't been working because I would get some slightly higher temps when stopped in traffic. Now they kick on when I turn the A/C on. However the compressor turns on and off. My dad told me it would likely be that they didn't recharge it correctly since the compressor would turn on and off. So my question is could it be that it wasn't refilled correctly?

Also my fans turn on only when the a/c is on. When it isn't on they turn off and the temp gauge goes to around 210. So the fans work, just only when the A/C is on. What can this be?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exactly clear what you mean by this statement

"It worked for a while and then it got hot." Referring to inside the car temps? or coolant gauge?

I believe the fans run automatically when you turn on the A/C. I read somewhere on this board that the fans don't start running in these cars until 220+ degrees. I think everything is normal with your car in this department.

It's normal for the compressor to cycle (turn on and off) as needed. If it's blowing cold air it's probably fine. If it's not cooling properly that's a different story.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starion
Not exactly clear what you mean by this statement

"It worked for a while and then it got hot." Referring to inside the car temps? or coolant gauge?

I believe the fans run automatically when you turn on the A/C. I read somewhere on this board that the fans don't start running in these cars until 220+ degrees. I think everything is normal with your car in this department.

It's normal for the compressor to cycle (turn on and off) as needed. If it's blowing cold air it's probably fine. If it's not cooling properly that's a different story.
The AC worked for a while then as I started driving it the air it was blowing gradually got warmer. The compressor kicks on for a couple of seconds then it turns off for a couple of seconds and so on. My dad said the system wasn't recharged properly and the compressor turns on and off since the pressure isn't there, or something to that effect.

Also, my car never had this problem with the fans before. I know they're supposed to turn on only when needed. Since the a/c turns them on I know they work, but that's the only time they work.

Thanks but I'm still looking for some more solutions.